Probability through Poisson Distributon

In summary: ZvQKc9L6sk2XkZf3X_PXgQIn summary, the Poisson distribution is a model used to represent memoryless waiting times and the exponential function is automatically involved in the process. The discussion at the provided link may provide more insight into the reasoning behind this choice.
Thaizasaskand
Hi!

I am aware of the steps used to show that (e^-λ*λ^r)/r! is P(X=r) for X~Po(λ), where λ = E(X) = Var(X). I have two questions regarding this:

- I'm aware that all of the probabilities add up to 1, but how do we know that they're all probabilities and not just a set of values that add to 1?
- Why e specifically? I do actually remember hearing this before, but I've since forgotten.

As I'm sure that it's probably helpful to post how to reach P(X=r) = (e^-λ*λ^r)/r! anyway, I'll post it:

e^λ =

∑ (λ^r)/r! = λ^0 + (λ^1)/1! + (λ^2)/2! + (λ^3)/3! + ... + (λ^r)/r! + ...
r=0

Dividing both sides by e^λ gives:

1 = e^-λ * λ^0 + (e^-λ * λ^1)/1! + (e^-λ * λ^2)/2! + (e^-λ * λ^3)/3! + ... + (e^-λ * λ^r)/r! + ...

As such, the probability function is given through the previously stated formula.

If my communication is unclear, I apologise - it has been hotter than usual in SE England this week and I'm not so sharp as a result.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thaizasaskand said:
Hi!

I am aware of the steps used to show that (e^-λ*λ^r)/r! is P(X=r) for X~Po(λ), where λ = E(X) = Var(X). I have two questions regarding this:

- I'm aware that all of the probabilities add up to 1, but how do we know that they're all probabilities and not just a set of values that add to 1?

They are the same thing in the sense that a set of non-negative numbers adding to 1 can be used to define a discrete probability function.

- Why e specifically? I do actually remember hearing this before, but I've since forgotten.

As I'm sure that it's probably helpful to post how to reach P(X=r) = (e^-λ*λ^r)/r! anyway, I'll post it:

e^λ =

∑ (λ^r)/r! = λ^0 + (λ^1)/1! + (λ^2)/2! + (λ^3)/3! + ... + (λ^r)/r! + ...
r=0

Dividing both sides by e^λ gives:

1 = e^-λ * λ^0 + (e^-λ * λ^1)/1! + (e^-λ * λ^2)/2! + (e^-λ * λ^3)/3! + ... + (e^-λ * λ^r)/r! + ...

As such, the probability function is given through the previously stated formula.

If my communication is unclear, I apologise - it has been hotter than usual in SE England this week and I'm not so sharp as a result.

Thanks for your time!

The Poisson distribution is used to model memoryless waiting times. If you make that assumption, the exponential function enters automatically. The discussion at this link might be helpful:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...8oKgCQ&usg=AFQjCNFexUgy7SW72RieBJiFqQRH32Tr9Q

Last edited:

1. What is the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of occurrences of a specific event within a certain time period or space. It is often used in situations where the probability of an event happening is small, but the number of occurrences is large.

2. How is the Poisson distribution different from other probability distributions?

The Poisson distribution differs from other probability distributions in that it only has one parameter, λ (lambda), which represents the average rate of occurrences. This makes it simpler to use and interpret compared to other distributions that may have multiple parameters.

3. What types of events can be modeled using the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is commonly used to model events such as the number of customer arrivals at a store, the number of accidents on a highway, or the number of phone calls received by a call center. It can also be used to model natural phenomena such as the number of earthquakes in a certain region or the number of bacteria in a sample.

4. How do you calculate the probability using the Poisson distribution?

The probability of a specific number of occurrences, x, can be calculated using the formula P(x; λ) = (e^-λ * λ^x) / x!, where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. This formula can be easily programmed into a computer or used in statistical software to calculate probabilities for different values of x and λ.

5. What are the assumptions of the Poisson distribution?

There are several assumptions that must be met for the Poisson distribution to accurately model a situation. These include a fixed time period or space, independence of events, and a constant probability of occurrence for each event. Additionally, the events must be rare, meaning that the probability of multiple occurrences happening simultaneously is very small.