1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Distribution, Mean, and Lamda confusion

1. Jun 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Accidents at a busy intersection follow a Poisson distribution with three accidents expected in a week.
    What is the probability that at least 10 days pass between accidents?

2. Relevant equations
    F(X) = 1- e-λx
    μ = 1/λ

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let x = amount of time between accidents in days
    My r.v. is continuous so x~Exponential(λ=?)

E(x) = 3/7 (in days)
    Since E(x) = μ = 1/λ = 3/7
    λ = 7/3

Thus x~Exponential(λ=7/3)
    P(X≥10) = 1-P(X≤10) = 1- F(10) = 1- e-70/3

Answer in the back of the book says:
    λ = 3/7
    P(X≥10) = 1-P(X≤10) = 1- F(10) = 1- e-30/7

I'm confused why λ = 3/7 and not 7/3 if my expected value is 3/7. Shouldn't lambda, by definition, be its reciprocal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I agree that ## \lambda=3/7 ##. ## \lambda ## is the rate at which things occur. I think your very last line is in error though. As I understand it, the exponential distribution comes from the differential equation ## \frac{dN}{dt}=-\lambda N ##. This would give ## P(X \geq x)=e^{- \lambda x} ## and ## P(X \leq x)=1-e^{- \lambda x} ##.

4. Jun 30, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a Poisson random variable ##N## with mean ##m## the probability mass function is
    $$P(N = k) = \frac{m^k}{k!} e^{-m}, \; k = 0,1,2,\ldots$$
    In your case if you measure arrivals per day your ##m = 3/7##.

On the other hand, the times between successive arrivals are iid exponentials with mean ##\mu = 1/m##, so ##\mu = 7/3## (days) in your case.

That makes perfect sense: on average, fewer than one accident per day occurs, so it is reasonable that the mean time between accidents is greater than 1 day.

I have used different names ##m## and ##\mu##, but you can relate them to some ##\lambda## if you want.

5. Jun 30, 2017 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I can add a hint to the OP to do the calculation in this manner. For a Poisson distribution, let's use the letter ## \nu ## for the mean, i.e. ## \nu=Np ##. They give you data for a 7 day period, and ## \nu=3 ##. You need to compute ## \nu ## (which is ## \lambda ## in my post #2 and ## m ## in post #3 above) for a 10 day period . Once you have that, the formula given by @Ray Vickson should be able to lead you to the answer. Additional comment=I believe formula as given by @Ray Vickson is the result for the probability of ## k ## accidents on a single day. (Note: In some ways this method by @Ray Vickson is a better solution than the route I presented in post #2, because this way also allows you to compute the probability that there is 1 collision in the 10 day period,the probability that there are 2 collisions, the probability that there are 3 collisions, the probability that there are 4 collisions in the 10 day period, etc.)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  6. Jun 30, 2017 #5
    Ahhh, I think I found out where I was confused. I was confusing the continuous exponential distribution with a discrete Poisson distribution (where mean = μ = m = lamda). Rather than viewing them as their own independent definitions, I got used to viewing them as synonyms. :confused:

Thanks.

7. Jun 30, 2017 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

It actually is advantageous to learn both methods. See my edited post #4. For the calculation at hand, using the @Ray Vickson approach, you would compute the probability that there are 0 collisions in the 10 day period.

8. Jun 30, 2017 #7

Charles Link

Homework Helper

@Of Mike and Men Notice the Poisson distribution has ## e^{- \nu} ## built into it. This is certainly necessary because ## \sum\limits_{k=0}^{+\infty} \frac{\nu^k}{k!}=e^{\nu} ##. (The result follows because of the Taylor expansion for ## e^{\nu} ##.) Thereby the Poisson distribution is correctly normalized to 1... The Poisson distribution is a limiting case of the binomial distribution, which is in fact properly normalized, so that the Poisson distribution that is computed from it would of course be properly normalized. ## \\ ## Additional comment: This problem of the intersection with accidents can be treated similar to the problem of the life of a light bulb, where the probability that a given bulb survives without an event for a time ## X \geq x ## is ## P(X \geq x)=e^{- \lambda x} ## (Comes from ## \frac{dN}{dt}=-\lambda N ##) . ## \\ ## Alternatively, it can be solved by using the Poisson distribution which gives the probability of ## k ## events in a given time span as a function of integer ## k ##, and in this case setting ## k=0 ## for the ten day time span. ## \\ ## In setting up the Poisson distribution for the case at hand, you don't know ## N ## (although you know it is a large number ,which will be larger for a longer time span in whatever you are analyzing), and you don't know ## p ## (## p ## is small), but you do know the product ## \nu=Np ## (the letters ## \lambda ## and ## m ## are also used in place of ## \nu ##), which is the mean number of events that occurs with the scenario you are analyzing over the time span that is selected. ## \\ ## (In some cases you will know both ## N ## and ## p ##, but the only requirement is that ## N ## is large and ## p ## is small and that you know the product ## \nu=Np ##).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted