Show that the set is countable or finite.

In summary: Define the function g : N ~E -> W.We first define g : N ~E by the formulafor all x; y in E; g(x, y) = y. Next, we let C(z) = {t in E : t ~ z}#3 Let n be a number in N.We next let n be a number in N. Then, for all n and k in N, if n is not equal to k then In intersect Ik = empty set. So, for all n and k in N, if n is not equal to k then In intersect Ik = empty set. So, n~ Ik.
math25
Hi, can someone please help me with this problem.

Let A be an open subset of the interval [0; 1].
1. Show that the set W = {C(x) : x is in A} is countable or finite.

This is what I have...

Suppose W is an infinite subset of N. Then we have f : W-> N, which
is one-to-one. By the fact that any infinite set contains a countable subset, then W has a countable subset E, since w is infinite. So we have a one-to-one map
g : N ~E -> W. By Cantor-Berstein-Schroeder's Th, W~N.

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but what is [itex]C \left( x \right)[/itex]?

Sorry, this is what I have before problem:

Let A be an open subset of the interval [0; 1]. Our goal is to show that
A =the union In where for all n in N, In is a possibly empty open interval and for
all n and k in N, if n is not equal to k then In intersect Ik = empty set We begin by defi ning a relation ~ on A by the
formula
for all x; y in A; x ~ y if and only if every number between x and y is in A:
For each z in A, we let C(z) = {t in A : t ~ z}

#1 Show that the set W = {C(x) : x is in A} is countable or finite. (Hint: For this problem it's better to think of W as W = {U : there exist x in A such that U =
C(x)}. The reason is for every element U of W will be more than one number
x for which U = C(x).)

Alright, well, I think it might be easier to define a mapping between these [itex]C \left( x \right)[/itex] and a subset of the rational numbers. Can you think of a way to assign a unique [itex]r \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] to each [itex]U \in W[/itex]?

Last edited:
Well, the rational numbers are countable, so any open set in R is the countable union of components. But I am not sure how to write a proof...

Would this proof work?

let r=1/n for n=1,2,3... and {In, n in N where In is the set corresponding to r=1/n, that is In is a maximal set having the property that is greater then or equal to 1/n for any a,b in In

Let W =Un In since W is the union of countably many countable sets, W is countable.

thanks

Hmm, I'm afraid that doesn't quite work. Say [itex]A = \left( \frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{4} \right) \cup \left( \frac{3}{4}, 1 \right)[/itex], then what would [itex]I_{2}[/itex] be?

I think it would be better to use the fact that the rational numbers are dense within the real numbers. You should be able to show that each [itex]C \left( x \right)[/itex] is non-empty and open and thus contains at least one rational number, and since they are disjoint, these rational numbers must be unique.

1. What does it mean for a set to be countable or finite?

Countable sets have a finite number of elements, while finite sets have an infinite number of elements.

2. How do you show that a set is countable?

A set is countable if there exists a bijective function between the set and the set of natural numbers.

3. What is an example of a countable set?

The set of all even numbers is countable, as there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set and the natural numbers (2n).

4. How can you prove that a set is finite?

A set is finite if it has a specific number of elements and can be counted.

5. Can you give an example of a finite set?

The set of all letters in the English alphabet is a finite set, as there are only 26 letters in total.