1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the set is countable or finite.

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hi, can someone please help me with this problem.

Let A be an open subset of the interval [0; 1].
    1. Show that the set W = {C(x) : x is in A} is countable or finite.

This is what I have...

Suppose W is an infinite subset of N. Then we have f : W-> N, which
    is one-to-one. By the fact that any infinite set contains a countable subset, then W has a countable subset E, since w is infinite. So we have a one-to-one map
    g : N ~E -> W. By Cantor-Berstein-Schroeder's Th, W~N.

thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    I'm sorry, but what is [itex]C \left( x \right)[/itex]?

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    Sorry, this is what I have before problem:

Let A be an open subset of the interval [0; 1]. Our goal is to show that
    A =the union In where for all n in N, In is a possibly empty open interval and for
    all n and k in N, if n is not equal to k then In intersect Ik = empty set We begin by defi ning a relation ~ on A by the
    formula
    for all x; y in A; x ~ y if and only if every number between x and y is in A:
    For each z in A, we let C(z) = {t in A : t ~ z}

#1 Show that the set W = {C(x) : x is in A} is countable or finite. (Hint: For this problem it's better to think of W as W = {U : there exist x in A such that U =
    C(x)}. The reason is for every element U of W will be more than one number
    x for which U = C(x).)

5. Apr 17, 2012 #4
    Alright, well, I think it might be easier to define a mapping between these [itex]C \left( x \right)[/itex] and a subset of the rational numbers. Can you think of a way to assign a unique [itex]r \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] to each [itex]U \in W[/itex]?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. Apr 18, 2012 #5
    Well, the rational numbers are countable, so any open set in R is the countable union of components. But I am not sure how to write a proof...

7. Apr 18, 2012 #6
    Would this proof work?

let r=1/n for n=1,2,3... and {In, n in N where In is the set corresponding to r=1/n, that is In is a maximal set having the property that is greater then or equal to 1/n for any a,b in In

Let W =Un In since W is the union of countably many countable sets, W is countable.

thanks

8. Apr 19, 2012 #7
    Hmm, I'm afraid that doesn't quite work. Say [itex]A = \left( \frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{4} \right) \cup \left( \frac{3}{4}, 1 \right)[/itex], then what would [itex]I_{2}[/itex] be?

I think it would be better to use the fact that the rational numbers are dense within the real numbers. You should be able to show that each [itex]C \left( x \right)[/itex] is non-empty and open and thus contains at least one rational number, and since they are disjoint, these rational numbers must be unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook