1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the functions are eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    Given the hamiltonian in this form: H=[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex]b+.5)

b[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]
    [itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n+1}[/itex]

Attempt:

H[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex]b+.5)[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

I get to

H[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex][itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]+.5[itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex])

But now I'm stuck. Where can I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not correct, you have to split the Hamiltonian as it should be split:

[tex] H = \hbar\omega b^{\dagger}b + \frac{1}{2}\hbar\omega \hat{1} [/tex]

then act on an arbitrary vector.

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    I still end up with a similar problem though...I will have the raising operator acting on [itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]

H= ℏω[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex])+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ℏω[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Excelent. You need to do a trick on the relation given, namely realize that the <n> can be replaced by other values. Which substitution is useful ?

P.S. Always post your HW questions here, in this forum.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    Can I say that if [itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n+1}[/itex] then [itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

which would allow me to write the Hamiltonian as

H=ℏω(n+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex])[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

and because ℏω(n+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]) is just a number, then

b[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex] and
    [itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n+1}[/itex]

are eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook