1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the length of vector z is the product of z1 and z2.

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider a vector z defined by the equation z=z1z2, where z1=a+jb, and z2=c+jd (j=complex: same as 'i').
    (a) show that the length of z is the product of the lengths of z1 and z2.
    (b) show that the angle between z and the x axis is the sum of the angles made by z1 and z2 separately.

P.S. this question is part of a personal study, so feel free to bring all information applicable without skipping steps, as to really solidify my understanding because i have to admit ive gotten to these 'upper level' math and physics classes and i feel as though i know nothing. lol

Thank you in advance!

3. The attempt at a solution
    first off considering that this is 2 vectors being multiplied to get another vector im assuming that this is the cross product. if that is the case than i would start by simply taking the determinant resulting in: ad-cb, but at i wouldnt know what to do past this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe that the cross product is called for here, and I also believe that the description of z as a vector is somewhat misleading. You are given that z1 and z2 are complex numbers, for which ordinary multiplication is defined.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's really pretty easy if you express the complex numbers in polar form, if you gotten that far and want a shortcut.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted