Show the norm ||x|| is less or equal to A|x| for some constant A

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Ryker
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Show that [tex]\|x\| \leq A|x| \forall x \in \mathbb{R},[/tex] where [tex]A \geq 0.[/tex]

Homework Equations


We know the norm is a function [tex]f: {\mathbb{R}}^{d} \to \mathbb{R},[/tex] such that:
[tex]a) f(x) = 0 \iff x = 0,[/tex]
[tex]b) f(x+y) \leq f(x) + f(y),[/tex] and
[tex]c) f(cx) = |c|f(x) \forall c \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Ugh, I'm completely stumped here, and don't know where to begin. I know that for the Euclidean norm this is trivial, but I don't know how to even begin showing this in general. In particular, I don't see where I could grasp the absolute value (or the dot product), or how to start comparing it to the norm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, thanks for the hint, although I actually figured it out yesterday a couple of hours after posting :smile: I did it via the unit vectors and then expanding upon the properties b) and c). I assume this is what you were going for with the hint, as well, right?
 
Ryker said:
I did it via the unit vectors and then expanding upon the properties b) and c). I assume this is what you were going for with the hint, as well, right?

Yes, I thought on similar lines.