1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing equivalent potential expressions for a Transverse String

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm going through the derivation here starting on page 16. This image adds some context: string.PNG .

Generalizing their result to the i'th particle they find the extended distance between two masses being ##\Delta l= \frac{(y_i-y_{i-1})^2}{2a}## Then since the potential energy is given by force * displacement they obtain $$V_i=\frac{F}{2a}(y_i-y_{i-1})^2$$ where ##F## is the tension in the string.

However since the string is stretching Hooke's law should apply which then results in the potential being ##V_i=\frac{1}{2}kx^2##, I'm having trouble showing this produces the same result as above

2. Relevant equations
    ##F=-kx##, where x is the extended distance

3. The attempt at a solution

Ignoring the sign convention and using ##F=kx## we sub into the potential equation and get ##V_i=\frac{1}{2}Fx##, but x is just the extended distance ##\Delta l## therefore $$V_i = \frac{F}{2}\frac{(y_i-y_{i-1})^2}{2a}=\frac{F}{4a}(y_i-y_{i-1})^2$$ so I've obtained an extra factor of 1/2 but I can't seem to figure out why

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you missed the importance of the following statement in the derivation
    The effective spring constant is ##k = F/a## and the potential energy of the taut string is zero at equilibrium. When you displace the first mass straight up by (a very small) ##y_1##, its potential energy is ##V_1 = \frac{1}{2}(F/a)y_1^2##. When you displace the second mass straight up by ## y_2##, its potential energy is ##V_2 = \frac{1}{2}(F/a)(y_2-y_1)^2## and so on.

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    Hmmm, I can see that this gives the same result as the answer but I don't understand it. It's written in the form ##V_1=\frac{1}{2}(k)d^2## where you subbed in the effective spring constant however I can't understand why we are allowed to write the displacement of the string as merely the y-component when displacing along the y-axis results in a triangle being formed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted