1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving expression for potential of a point charge

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to derive an expression for the potential of a positive point charge by bringing in another positive test charge in from infinity to a point at a distance R from the point charge.

2. Relevant equations
    $$V_f - V_i = - \int \vec E \cdot d \vec r \, dr$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Being that the test charge is coming in from infinity ##\vec E \cdot d \vec r = Edrcos180 = -Edr##
    So then $$V_f - V_i = \int E \, dr$$
    Then taking ##V_i = 0## at infinity
    $$ V= \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_o}
    \int_\infty^R \ {r^{-2}} \, dr =
    \left. - \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_o r} \right|_\infty^R$$

This gives me ##V = - \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_o R}##

Which is almost right except I have that negative sign that says the potential is decreasing...
    I thought since the potential is taken to be 0 at infinity and that the test charge is getting closer to the charge I would get a positive result saying the potential is increasing.

Could someone help explain why I got this negative result?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Welcome to PF!
    This should be written ##\vec E \cdot d \vec r = E|dr|cos180##. What happens if you now remove the absolute value sign on dr? Keep in mind that when integrating from ∞ to R, dr will be a negative quantity.

Alternately, before doing the dot product, reverse the limits on your integral so that you integrate from R to ∞. Then dr will be a positive quantity.

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3
    Thank you for replying.
    However, I am still not getting it.

Wouldn't dr be a negative quantity since it is pointing radially inward? So then its magnitude would still be positive? Why would I need to remove the absolute value sign?

Thanks.

5. Apr 6, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think part of the confusion is using ##d\vec{r}## for the displacement along a path and also using ##dr## for the change in the radial coordinate ##r## (which increases in the radially outward direction). Suppose we let ##d\vec{s}## be the displacement along an arbitrary path and imagine doing ##\int_a^b \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}## along some arbitrary path connecting points ##a## and ##b##. If we agree to let ##E## stand for the magnitude of ##\vec{E}## and ##ds## stand for the magnitude of ##d\vec{s}##, then the path integral may be written as ##\int_a^b E ds \cos\theta## .

Now suppose we apply this to a radial path that starts at infinity and goes to a radial distance ##R## from the origin. Let ##r## be the radial distance from the origin as used in the expression ##E = \frac{kq}{r^2}##. Then if we choose ##r## as the integration variable along the radial path from infinity to ##R##, ##dr## will be negative for each infinitesimal step along the path. So, the magnitude of the step, ##ds##, would be ##ds = -dr##. So, you would have ##\int_\infty^R E ds \cos\theta = -\int_\infty^R E dr \cos\theta##. In this integral, ##dr## does not represent the magnitude of the displacement (i.e., a positive quantity); rather, ##dr## represents the actual change in the radial distance ##r## when making a step along the path. So, ##dr## is a negative quantity while ##ds## is a positive quantity.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  6. Apr 6, 2017 #5
    ahh ok, yeah, that clears up a lot of my confusion. Thank you.
    So with ##d\vec s,## being the displacement vector along the path could it be represented by ##dr\hat r## ?
    In this case since it is in the decreasing radial direction ##d\vec s = -dr\hat r##
    I may just be confusing these two again, but I am trying to find how to mathematically arrive at
    ds = -dr.

7. Apr 6, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is correct for a radial path
    No. Whether you are going outward along a radial path or inward along a radial path, you would always have ##d\vec s = dr\hat r## (assuming that ##\hat r## is always defined in the radially outward direction). When going outward, ##dr## is positive. When going inward, ##dr## is negative.

##ds## represents the magnitude of the displacement. So, ##ds## is always positive. ##dr## represents the change in the radial coordinate ##r##. So, ##dr## is positive when moving radially outward, it is negative when moving radially inward. For moving outward or inward along a radial path, you could always write ##ds = |dr|##. When moving inward, ##|dr| = -dr##. So, when moving inward, ##ds = -dr##.

8. Apr 6, 2017 #7

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted