Deriving expression for potential of a point charge

In summary, the potential of a positive point charge decreases as the test charge gets closer to the charge.
jimmyoung

Homework Statement

I am trying to derive an expression for the potential of a positive point charge by bringing in another positive test charge in from infinity to a point at a distance R from the point charge.

Homework Equations

$$V_f - V_i = - \int \vec E \cdot d \vec r \, dr$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Being that the test charge is coming in from infinity ##\vec E \cdot d \vec r = Edrcos180 = -Edr##
So then $$V_f - V_i = \int E \, dr$$
Then taking ##V_i = 0## at infinity
$$ V= \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_o}
\int_\infty^R \ {r^{-2}} \, dr =
\left. - \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_o r} \right|_\infty^R$$

This gives me ##V = - \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_o R}##

Which is almost right except I have that negative sign that says the potential is decreasing...
I thought since the potential is taken to be 0 at infinity and that the test charge is getting closer to the charge I would get a positive result saying the potential is increasing.

Could someone help explain why I got this negative result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Welcome to PF!
jimmyoung said:
Being that the test charge is coming in from infinity ##\vec E \cdot d \vec r = Edrcos180 = -Edr##
This should be written ##\vec E \cdot d \vec r = E|dr|cos180##. What happens if you now remove the absolute value sign on dr? Keep in mind that when integrating from ∞ to R, dr will be a negative quantity.

Alternately, before doing the dot product, reverse the limits on your integral so that you integrate from R to ∞. Then dr will be a positive quantity.

TSny said:
Hello, Welcome to PF!

This should be written ##\vec E \cdot d \vec r = E|dr|cos180##. What happens if you now remove the absolute value sign on dr? Keep in mind that when integrating from ∞ to R, dr will be a negative quantity.

Alternately, before doing the dot product, reverse the limits on your integral so that you integrate from R to ∞. Then dr will be a positive quantity.

Thank you for replying.
However, I am still not getting it.

Wouldn't dr be a negative quantity since it is pointing radially inward? So then its magnitude would still be positive? Why would I need to remove the absolute value sign?

Thanks.

I think part of the confusion is using ##d\vec{r}## for the displacement along a path and also using ##dr## for the change in the radial coordinate ##r## (which increases in the radially outward direction). Suppose we let ##d\vec{s}## be the displacement along an arbitrary path and imagine doing ##\int_a^b \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}## along some arbitrary path connecting points ##a## and ##b##. If we agree to let ##E## stand for the magnitude of ##\vec{E}## and ##ds## stand for the magnitude of ##d\vec{s}##, then the path integral may be written as ##\int_a^b E ds \cos\theta## .

Now suppose we apply this to a radial path that starts at infinity and goes to a radial distance ##R## from the origin. Let ##r## be the radial distance from the origin as used in the expression ##E = \frac{kq}{r^2}##. Then if we choose ##r## as the integration variable along the radial path from infinity to ##R##, ##dr## will be negative for each infinitesimal step along the path. So, the magnitude of the step, ##ds##, would be ##ds = -dr##. So, you would have ##\int_\infty^R E ds \cos\theta = -\int_\infty^R E dr \cos\theta##. In this integral, ##dr## does not represent the magnitude of the displacement (i.e., a positive quantity); rather, ##dr## represents the actual change in the radial distance ##r## when making a step along the path. So, ##dr## is a negative quantity while ##ds## is a positive quantity.

Last edited:
TSny said:
I think part of the confusion is using ##d\vec{r}## for the displacement along a path and also using ##dr## for the change in the radial coordinate ##r## (which increases in the radially outward direction). Suppose we let ##d\vec{s}## be the displacement along an arbitrary path and imagine doing ##\int_a^b \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}## along some arbitrary path connecting points ##a## and ##b##. If we agree to let ##E## stand for the magnitude of ##\vec{E}## and ##ds## stand for the magnitude of ##d\vec{s}##, then the path integral may be written as ##\int_a^b E ds \cos\theta## .

Now suppose we apply this to a radial path that starts at infinity and goes to a radial distance ##R## from the origin. Let ##r## be the radial distance from the origin as used in the expression ##E = \frac{kq}{r^2}##. Then if we choose ##r## as the integration variable along the radial path from infinity to ##R##, ##dr## will be negative for each infinitesimal step along the path. So, the magnitude of the step, ##ds##, would be ##ds = -dr##. So, you would have ##\int_\infty^R E ds \cos\theta = -\int_\infty^R E dr \cos\theta##. In this integral, ##dr## does not represent the magnitude of the displacement (i.e., a positive quantity); rather, ##dr## represents the actual change in the radial distance ##r## when making a step along the path. So, ##dr## is a negative quantity while ##ds## is a positive quantity.

ahh ok, yeah, that clears up a lot of my confusion. Thank you.
So with ##d\vec s,## being the displacement vector along the path could it be represented by ##dr\hat r## ?
In this case since it is in the decreasing radial direction ##d\vec s = -dr\hat r##
I may just be confusing these two again, but I am trying to find how to mathematically arrive at
ds = -dr.

jimmyoung said:
So with ##d\vec s,## being the displacement vector along the path could it be represented by ##dr\hat r## ?
Yes, this is correct for a radial path
In this case since it is in the decreasing radial direction ##d\vec s = -dr\hat r##
No. Whether you are going outward along a radial path or inward along a radial path, you would always have ##d\vec s = dr\hat r## (assuming that ##\hat r## is always defined in the radially outward direction). When going outward, ##dr## is positive. When going inward, ##dr## is negative.

I may just be confusing these two again, but I am trying to find how to mathematically arrive at ds = -dr.
##ds## represents the magnitude of the displacement. So, ##ds## is always positive. ##dr## represents the change in the radial coordinate ##r##. So, ##dr## is positive when moving radially outward, it is negative when moving radially inward. For moving outward or inward along a radial path, you could always write ##ds = |dr|##. When moving inward, ##|dr| = -dr##. So, when moving inward, ##ds = -dr##.

What is the equation for the potential of a point charge?

The potential of a point charge can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

How is the potential of a point charge derived?

The potential of a point charge is derived by considering the work done in bringing a test charge from infinity to a distance r away from the point charge. This work is equal to the change in potential energy, which can be equated to the equation W = -ΔU = VQ, where W is the work, ΔU is the change in potential energy, V is the potential, and Q is the test charge. By solving for V, the equation for the potential of a point charge can be derived.

What is the significance of the Coulomb's constant in the equation for potential of a point charge?

The Coulomb's constant, represented by the letter k, is a fundamental constant in electrostatics that relates the strength of the electric force between two charged particles. It is a measure of the force exerted per unit charge at a distance of one meter away from a unit charge. In the equation for potential of a point charge, the Coulomb's constant is used to convert the force between two charges into potential energy.

Does the potential of a point charge depend on the magnitude of the test charge?

Yes, the potential of a point charge does depend on the magnitude of the test charge. This is because the potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. Therefore, the greater the test charge, the more potential energy it has and the higher the potential at that point will be.

What is the relationship between the potential of a point charge and the distance from the point charge?

The potential of a point charge is inversely proportional to the distance from the point charge. This means that as the distance from the point charge increases, the potential decreases. This relationship is described by the equation V = kQ/r, where r is the distance from the point charge. This is because the electric force, and therefore the potential energy, decreases as the distance between two charges increases.