1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing fourier coefficients reduce mean square error best

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I'm supposed to show that a finite fourier approximation is the optimal approximation for a given function.
    I am to suppose we have a given set of functions [tex]\phi _k(x),k=1,2,\text{...}N[/tex] defined on [tex]a\leq x\leq b[/tex].

They are orthogonal [tex]\int _a^b\phi _m(x)\phi _n(x)dx=0 \text{ for } m\neq n[/tex]

and are normalized [tex]\int _a^b\left[\phi _m(x)\right]{}^2dx=1[/tex]

a general approximation for f(x) in terms of these N functions is
    [tex]f_{\text{app}} (x)=\sum _{m=1}^N \gamma _m\phi _m(x)[/tex]

One possible choice of coefficients is the fourier coefficients defined by:
    [tex]f_m=\int _a^bf(x)\phi _m(x)dx[/tex]

The mean square error is defined as:

[tex]E=\int_a^b \left[f(x)-f_{\text{app}} (x)\right]{}^2 \, dx=\int_a^b \left[f(x)-\sum _{m=1}^N \gamma _m\phi _m(x)\right]{}^2 \, dx[/tex]

I am supposed to show that the fourier coefficients would be the optimal choice of [tex]\gamma _m[/tex] to minimize E

3. The attempt at a solution
    Thus far, I have carried out the square in the integrand of the error term, used the idea of orthogonality, and substituted the fourier coefficients in for gamma, but from there I am stuck! Here is what I have...

[tex]E=\int _a^b[f(x)]^2dx-2\int _a^bf(x)\left[\sum _{m=1}^N \int _a^bf(x)\phi _m(x)dx\right]\phi _m(x)dx+\left[\sum _{m=1}^N \int _a^bf(x)\phi _m(x)dx\right]{}^2[/tex]

From here, I am stuck! is there some kind of simplification that I am missing? this is very frustrating. Any help/nudge would be appreciated.

-Eric

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    Double check your squaring of [tex]\left[f(x)-\sum _{m=1}^N \gamma _m\phi _m(x)\right]{}^2[/tex] because your last formula for E looks suspect. Did you confuse f_m and gamma_m?

The key trick (eventually) is to use [tex]-2\gamma_m f_m+\gamma_m^2 = -f_m^2 + (f_m - \gamma_m)^2 [/tex]

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    if I am understanding the problem correctly, which is not an assumption I would bet any substantial amount of money on, I thought that the point was to show that [tex]f_m[/tex] is the best substitution for [tex]\gamma_m[/tex], e.g. show that [tex]f_m=\gamma_m[/tex] reduces E better than any other substitution for [tex]\gamma_m[/tex].

So I everywhere I see [tex]\gamma_m[/tex] i want to substitute the expression for [tex]f_m[/tex] and show somehow that this is minimizes E, correct?

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
    No, wait until the end to imagine replacing gamma_m with f_m. Do the algebra I suggested and you should end up with an expression

E = expression involving both gamma_m and f_m

If you do enough algebra (correctly), you will see that this E is clearly minimized when gamma_m = f_m.

Sorry I'm being vague. It's not really too hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook