1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing reciprocol lattice is perpenducular to a plane

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex] a_1 a_2 a_3[/tex] are the unit vectors of a real space lattice, then the so-called “reciprocal lattice” is defined by the unit vectors [tex]b_1 b_2 b_3[/tex] where:

[tex] b_1 = \frac{2\pi a_2 \times a_3}{a_1 \cdot a_2 \times a_3} [/tex]

[tex] b_2 = \frac{2\pi a_3 \times a_1}{a_1 \cdot a_2 \times a_3} [/tex]

[tex] b_3 = \frac{2\pi a_1 \times a_2}{a_1 \cdot a_2 \times a_3} [/tex]

Consider a plane hkl in a crystal lattice.

(a) Prove that the reciprocal lattice vector [tex]G = hb_1 + kb_2 + lb_3[/tex] is perpendicular to this plane.

(b) Prove that the distance between two adjacent parallel planes of the lattice is

[tex] d(hkl) = \frac{2\pi}{|G|} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] a \cdot b = |A||B| cos \theta [/tex]
    [tex] a \times b = |A||B| sin \theta [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have subsituted in the values of a1/2/3 into the given equation to give:

[tex]G = h\frac{2\pi a_2 \times a_3}{a_1 \cdot a_2 \times a_3} + k\frac{2\pi a_3 \times a_1}{a_1 \cdot a_2 \times a_3} + l\frac{2\pi a_1 \times a_2}{a_1 \cdot a_2 \times a_3}[/tex]

but I am not quite sure how to show that this is perpendicular.

I have added the dot and cross product as I feel these may be useful?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

physicsworks

Gold Member

Think of reciprocal lattice as a set of wave vectors [tex]\mathbf{G}[/tex] such that the plane wave [tex]e^{i \mathbf{k}\mathbf{r}}[/tex] with [tex]\mathbf{k = G}[/tex] has a translation symmetry of Bravais lattice.
    So, for any vector [tex]\mathbf{R}[/tex] of Bravais lattice ([tex]\mathbf{R}= n_1 \mathbf{a_1} + n_2 \mathbf{a_2} + n_3 \mathbf{a_3}[/tex]) you should have:
    [tex]e^{i \mathbf{G} \mathbf{r}} = e^{i \mathbf{G (r + R)}}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]e^{i \mathbf {GR}}=1[/tex]
    This is far more physical definition of the reciprocal lattice (RL). From this, you can easily show that three vectors [tex]\math{b_1}, \math{b_2}, \math{b_3}[/tex] as you defined them form a reciprocal lattice and every vector of RL has a form [tex]G=k_1 \mathbf{b_1} + k_2 \mathbf{b_2} + k_3 \mathbf{b_3}[/tex] where [tex]k_1, k_2, k_3 \in Z[/tex].
    Now you can proof that:
    1) for any set of lattice planes separated by the distance d, there are reciprocal vectors perpendicular to them and the shortest vector has a length [tex]2 \pi/d[/tex].
    2) for any reciprocal lattice vector [tex]\mathbf{G}[/tex] there is a set of planes normal to [tex]\mathbf{G}[/tex] separated by the distance d and the the shortest reciprocal vector parallel to [tex]\mathbf{G}[/tex] has a length [tex]2 \pi/d[/tex].
    To do this just use the fact that [tex]e^{i\mathbf{G r}}[/tex] is constant value in lattice planes perpendicular to [tex]\mathbf{G}[/tex] and separated by the distance [tex]\lambda = 2 \pi/K[/tex], so given
    [tex]\mathbf{K}=\frac{2 \pi \mathbf{s}}{d}[/tex]
    where [tex]\mathbf{s}[/tex] is a unit vector perpendicular to the planes
    you have [tex]\lambda = d[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook