1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid state physics, exercise about reciprocal lattice

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I don't reach the correct answer to an exercise. I'm following Ashcroft's book.
    I must find that the reciprocal of the bcc Bravais lattice is a fcc one and the reciprocal of the fcc Bravais lattice is a bcc one.

2. Relevant equations

If a_1, a_2 and a_3 are vectors spaning the Bravais lattice, then the reciprocal lattice is spanned by the vectors [itex]b_1= 2 \pi \frac{a_2 \times a_3}{a_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)}[/itex], [itex]b_2= 2 \pi \frac{a_3 \times a_1}{a_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)}[/itex] and [itex]b_3= 2 \pi \frac{a_1 \times a_2}{a_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a bcc lattice: [itex]a_1=\frac{a}{2}(\hat y +\hat z-\hat x )[/itex], [itex]a_2=\frac{a}{2}(\hat z +\hat x-\hat y )[/itex] and [itex]a_3=\frac{a}{2}(\hat x +\hat y-\hat z )[/itex].
    While for a fcc lattice, [itex]a_1=\frac{a}{2}(\hat y +\hat z)[/itex], [itex]a_2=\frac{a}{2}(\hat z +\hat x )[/itex] and [itex]a_3=\frac{a}{2}(\hat y +\hat x )[/itex].
    I first tried to show that the reciprocal of the fcc lattice is a bcc lattice. So I just used the formulae given but didn't reach what I should have.
    [itex]b_1=2\pi \frac{[ \frac{a}{2}(\hat z + \hat x )] \times [ \frac{a}{2} (\hat x + \hat y ) ]}{[\frac{a}{2} (\hat y + \hat x )] \cdot [ \frac{a}{2} (\hat z + \hat x ) \times \frac{a}{2} (\hat x + \hat y ) ] }[/itex].
    I calculated [itex](\hat z + \hat x ) \times (\hat x + \hat y )[/itex] to be worth [itex]\hat y + \hat z[/itex]. So that I reached that [itex]b_1=\frac{4 \pi }{a} (\hat y + \hat z )[/itex]. This is already wrong, according to the book I should have reached [itex]b_1=\frac{4 \pi }{a} \cdot \frac{1}{2} (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )[/itex].
    I have no clue on what I've done wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2
    z times x = y
    z times y = -x
    x times x = 0
    x times y = z

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks. I see that I made a mistake in doing that cross product (I did it via a determinant and did the arithmetics too fast, forgetting a term).
    I now reach that [itex](\hat z +\hat x) \times (\hat x +\hat y)=\hat y +\hat z -\hat x[/itex]. But now the denominator is worth [itex](\hat y +\hat x )\cdot (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )=1-1=0[/itex] which can't be right.

5. Jul 6, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The denominator should be

[itex](\hat y +\hat z )\cdot (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )[/itex]

ehild

6. Jul 7, 2012 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks! That made it, I now reach what I should.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook