1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that gauge fields become massless and massive

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a non-abelian gauge theory of SU(N) × SU(N) gauge fields coupled to N[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    complex scalars in the (N,N[itex]^{_}[/itex]) multiplet of the gauge group. In N × N matrix notations,
    the vector fields form two independent traceless hermitian matrices Bμ(x) =[itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex] B[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex](x) [itex]\frac{\lambda}^{a}{2}[/itex] and Cμ(x) = [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex] C[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex](x) [itex]\frac{\lambda}^{a}{2}[/itex] , the scalar fields form a complex matrix [itex]\Phi[/itex], and the Lagrangian is
    L = −(1/2) tr(B[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex]B[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex] −(1/2) tr(C[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex]C[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex]) + tr(D[itex]_{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex]D[itex]^{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex]) - ([itex]\alpha[/itex]/2)(tr([itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex]))^2 - ([itex]\beta[/itex]/2)(tr([itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex])) - (m^2)*(tr([itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex])

where

B[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] = [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex]B[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] - [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\nu}[/itex]B[itex]_{\mu}[/itex] - ig[B[itex]_{\mu}[/itex], B[itex]_{\nu}[/itex]]
    C[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] = [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex]C[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] - [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\nu}[/itex]C[itex]_{\mu}[/itex] - ig[C[itex]_{\mu}[/itex], C[itex]_{\nu}[/itex]]
    D[itex]_{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex] = [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex]
    + igB[itex]_{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex] - ig[itex]\Phi[/itex]C[itex]_{\mu}[/itex]
    D[itex]_{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex] = [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex]
    + ig[itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex]B[itex]_{\mu}[/itex] + igC[itex]_{\mu}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex]

(2)
    For simplicity, let both SU(N) factors of the gauge group have the same gauge coupling g.
    Besides the local SU(N)×SU(N) symmetries, the Lagrangian (1) has a global U(1) phase
    symmetry [itex]\Phi[/itex](x) → e[itex]^{i\theta}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex](x), but some of these symmetries become spontaneously broken
    for m[itex]^{2}[/itex] = −μ[itex]^{2}[/itex] < 0. Specifically, for m[itex]^{2}[/itex] = −μ[itex]^{2}[/itex] < 0 but α, β > 0, the scalar potential has
    a local maximum at [itex]\Phi[/itex] = 0 while the minima lie at
    [itex]\Phi[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{\mu^{2}}{N\alpha + \beta}}[/itex] × a unitary matrix. (3)

All such minima are related by SU(N) × SU(N) × U(1) symmetries to
    [itex]\Phi[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{\mu^{2}}{N\alpha + \beta}}[/itex] × 1[itex]_{NxN}[/itex]

Now let’s be more specific: Show that the vector fields A[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex](B[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] + C[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex]) remain massless while the orthogonal combinations X[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex](B[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] - C[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex]) become massive.
    Hint: Fix the unitary gauge in which the [itex]\Phi[/itex](x) matrix is hermitian up to an overall
    phase, [itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex](x) = [itex]\Phi[/itex](x) × e[itex]^{-2i\theta(x)}[/itex]. Explain why this gauge condition is non-singular for [itex]\Phi[/itex](x) near the minima (3).

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I've seen in textbooks, to see what new massive and massless field arise, you just substitute the new field (ie [itex]\phi[/itex] -> [itex]\phi[/itex]e[itex]^{-i\theta}[/itex])
    But I'm confused with this problem. Do I just substitute the A[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] in place of B and C in equation (1)? Or expand out (1) using the [itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex](x) = [itex]\Phi[/itex](x) × e[itex]^{-2i\theta(x)}[/itex], and then factor it out to get A[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] and X terms?

I don't see how by doing the latter, we will see a mass term in front of A[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex]? In equation (1), the only term the mass term is in front of is tr([itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{+}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex])

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    The corrections in the typos in the OP are:
    B[itex]_{\mu}[/itex](x) = [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex]B[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex](x)[itex]\frac{\lambda^{a}}{2}[/itex]

C[itex]_{\mu}[/itex](x) = [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex]C[itex]^{a}_{\mu}[/itex](x)[itex]\frac{\lambda^{a}}{2}[/itex]

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Thread pending moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook