Showing that spectrum of operator is not compact

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]X=C[0,\pi][/tex].
Define [tex]T:\mathcal{D}(T) \to X[/tex], Tx = x" where
[tex]\mathcal{D}(T) = \{ x \in X | x(0)=x(\pi)=0 \}[/tex].

Show that [tex]\sigma(T)[/tex] is not compact.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution
Well, functions sin(Ax) and sin(-Ax), for A=0,1,2,... are in the domain, and eigenvalues are all integers, which are not bounded, aka. not compact. But I am not sure how to show this in general case. Any help in the right direction is appreciated.

Last edited:
Yikes, the preview looked fine, but not sure what happened with that LaTeX code there. The operator is second derivative, Tx=x", and the domain is all functions in X so that x(0)=x(Pi)=0.

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What do you mean 'general case'? I think you've shown that the second derivative operator T is unbounded, so it can't be compact. What else is there to show?

Well, I guess I came up with an example of a function that's in the domain, and whose set of eigenvalues are not bounded, and eigenvalues are in the spectrum. I just wasn't really sure if that is enough to show that it's true for ALL functions in the domain.

Also, I noticed I made a mistake. If f(x)=sin(Ax), then [tex]f''(x)=-A^2sin(Ax)[/tex], so for any integer A, [tex]-A^2[/tex] is an eigenvalue, which is still an unbounded set.

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That what is true for ALL functions in the domain? Compactness or boundedness are properties of the operator T, not of specific functions. Your example shows T is not a bounded operator, I think it's just fine.

Point taken. Thanks for the input :)

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving