1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that spectrum of operator is not compact

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]X=C[0,\pi][/tex].
    Define [tex]T:\mathcal{D}(T) \to X[/tex], Tx = x" where
    [tex]\mathcal{D}(T) = \{ x \in X | x(0)=x(\pi)=0 \}[/tex].

Show that [tex]\sigma(T)[/tex] is not compact.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, functions sin(Ax) and sin(-Ax), for A=0,1,2,... are in the domain, and eigenvalues are all integers, which are not bounded, aka. not compact. But I am not sure how to show this in general case. Any help in the right direction is appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2
    Yikes, the preview looked fine, but not sure what happened with that LaTeX code there. The operator is second derivative, Tx=x", and the domain is all functions in X so that x(0)=x(Pi)=0.

4. Dec 14, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean 'general case'? I think you've shown that the second derivative operator T is unbounded, so it can't be compact. What else is there to show?

5. Dec 14, 2009 #4
    Well, I guess I came up with an example of a function that's in the domain, and whose set of eigenvalues are not bounded, and eigenvalues are in the spectrum. I just wasn't really sure if that is enough to show that it's true for ALL functions in the domain.

Also, I noticed I made a mistake. If f(x)=sin(Ax), then [tex]f''(x)=-A^2sin(Ax)[/tex], so for any integer A, [tex]-A^2[/tex] is an eigenvalue, which is still an unbounded set.

6. Dec 14, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That what is true for ALL functions in the domain? Compactness or boundedness are properties of the operator T, not of specific functions. Your example shows T is not a bounded operator, I think it's just fine.

7. Dec 14, 2009 #6
    Point taken. Thanks for the input :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook