1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the inequality holds for an interval (?)

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    Showing the inequality holds for an interval (???)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, my homework question is:

Show that the inequality
    [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex]<2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] holds [itex]\forall[/itex]x[itex]\in[/itex][-2,0]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using IVT or bisection method, but they are just for existence of a root. How can I show it holds for all x in the interval [-2,0]? Would taking the derivative of the function
    [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex]-2-[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] lead me anywhere? Like finding maximum or minimum points? Thanks a lot for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Showing the inequality holds for an interval (???)

Find the roots of sqrt(2+x)-(2-x/4)=0. The use the roots to sketch a graph. Where your graph is negative is where sqrt(2+x)<(2-x/4), right?

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3

Thanks, Dick, but when I try finding roots of [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex]-(2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex])= 0, what I get is:

2+x = [[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex]]2+4+x
    x2/16+2=0
    but it is not possible. How should I proceed from here? Is there a mistake?

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no mistake. If there are no roots or singularities then that difference must always be positive or always be negative since it doesn't cross zero. Which is it?

6. Nov 28, 2011 #5

x2/16+2 must always be positive for all intervals of x. If we put the inequality sign instead of 0, the statement is true. Should I express it like: 'Since x2/16+2>0 is true for all x, then it also holds for x[itex]\in[-2,0][/itex]' ? Is this a formal statement?

7. Nov 28, 2011 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's formal enough for me.

8. Nov 28, 2011 #7

Thanks a lot, I had thought I should solve for a specific case, but this is also true :)

9. Nov 28, 2011 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you want to get fancy, you can say this: Since the inequality is true for all real numbers, it's true a fortiori, for x [itex]\in[/itex] [-2, 0].

Loosely translated, the italicized phrase means "even more strongly."

10. Nov 28, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you should. So far you've only shown the curves sqrt(2+x) and 2+x/4 don't cross, since they are never equal. So one is always greater than the other one. To say WHICH one is greater, I would test them at, say, x=(-2).

11. Nov 29, 2011 #10

Thanks, Dick. If I take x= -2, then I get [itex]\sqrt{-2+2}[/itex]< 2+ [itex]\frac{(-2)}{4}[/itex], which is 0 < [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. It also holds for 0, then [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex] < 2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] in the interval [-2,0]. Now how should I proceed? How can I show this holds for every number in this interval?
    I'm a bit confused :confused:

12. Nov 29, 2011 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because you showed the graphs don't cross because there are no values where they are equal. So sqrt(x+1) is ALWAYS greater than 2+x/4 for any x>=(-2). It's true on [-2.infinity). So it must also be true on [-2,0].

13. Nov 29, 2011 #12

Wow, drawing their graphs shows everything clearly. sqrt(2+x) is always smaller than 2+x/4. Hence, this is true for every interval that they are defined (x>=-2).

Thanks for your time and effort, Dick and Mark :) You were a great help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook