• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Showing the inequality holds for an interval (?)

Showing the inequality holds for an interval (???)

Homework Statement

Hi, my homework question is:

Show that the inequality
[itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex]<2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] holds [itex]\forall[/itex]x[itex]\in[/itex][-2,0]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using IVT or bisection method, but they are just for existence of a root. How can I show it holds for all x in the interval [-2,0]? Would taking the derivative of the function
[itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex]-2-[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] lead me anywhere? Like finding maximum or minimum points? Thanks a lot for any help.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Find the roots of sqrt(2+x)-(2-x/4)=0. The use the roots to sketch a graph. Where your graph is negative is where sqrt(2+x)<(2-x/4), right?

Find the roots of sqrt(2+x)-(2-x/4)=0. The use the roots to sketch a graph. Where your graph is negative is where sqrt(2+x)<(2-x/4), right?
Thanks, Dick, but when I try finding roots of [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex]-(2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex])= 0, what I get is:

2+x = [[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex]]2+4+x
x2/16+2=0
but it is not possible. How should I proceed from here? Is there a mistake?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Thanks, Dick, but when I try finding roots of [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex]-(2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex])= 0, what I get is:

2+x = [[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex]]2+4+x
x2/16+2=0
but it is not possible. How should I proceed from here? Is there a mistake?
No, no mistake. If there are no roots or singularities then that difference must always be positive or always be negative since it doesn't cross zero. Which is it?

x2/16+2 must always be positive for all intervals of x. If we put the inequality sign instead of 0, the statement is true. Should I express it like: 'Since x2/16+2>0 is true for all x, then it also holds for x[itex]\in[-2,0][/itex]' ? Is this a formal statement?

That's formal enough for me.

Thanks a lot, I had thought I should solve for a specific case, but this is also true :)

If you want to get fancy, you can say this: Since the inequality is true for all real numbers, it's true a fortiori, for x [itex]\in[/itex] [-2, 0].

Loosely translated, the italicized phrase means "even more strongly."

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Thanks a lot, I had thought I should solve for a specific case, but this is also true :)
I think you should. So far you've only shown the curves sqrt(2+x) and 2+x/4 don't cross, since they are never equal. So one is always greater than the other one. To say WHICH one is greater, I would test them at, say, x=(-2).

I think you should. So far you've only shown the curves sqrt(2+x) and 2+x/4 don't cross, since they are never equal. So one is always greater than the other one. To say WHICH one is greater, I would test them at, say, x=(-2).
Thanks, Dick. If I take x= -2, then I get [itex]\sqrt{-2+2}[/itex]< 2+ [itex]\frac{(-2)}{4}[/itex], which is 0 < [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. It also holds for 0, then [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex] < 2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] in the interval [-2,0]. Now how should I proceed? How can I show this holds for every number in this interval?
I'm a bit confused :confused:

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Thanks, Dick. If I take x= -2, then I get [itex]\sqrt{-2+2}[/itex]< 2+ [itex]\frac{(-2)}{4}[/itex], which is 0 < [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. It also holds for 0, then [itex]\sqrt{2+x}[/itex] < 2+[itex]\frac{x}{4}[/itex] in the interval [-2,0]. Now how should I proceed? How can I show this holds for every number in this interval?
I'm a bit confused :confused:
Because you showed the graphs don't cross because there are no values where they are equal. So sqrt(x+1) is ALWAYS greater than 2+x/4 for any x>=(-2). It's true on [-2.infinity). So it must also be true on [-2,0].

Wow, drawing their graphs shows everything clearly. sqrt(2+x) is always smaller than 2+x/4. Hence, this is true for every interval that they are defined (x>=-2).

Thanks for your time and effort, Dick and Mark :) You were a great help.