Shunt Calibration of a Strain Gauge

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of shunt calibration for measuring strain using strain gauges. The process involves simulating a strain with a resistor placed in parallel with the strain gauge, and the readout can be correlated to the strain. The issue arose when considering how to account for the deviance of the strain gauge with only one calibration point. It was mentioned that commercial systems use multiple parallel calibration resistors, but the system being used by the individual only has one shunt resistor and no other connections available. The possibility of calibrating a range with only one shunt resistor was also discussed, but the accuracy of such a method was questioned.
El Moriana
I've recently been researching how to measure strain using strain gauges. I came upon the subject of shunt calibration and hit a mental roadblock.

From what I understand, shunt calibration simulates a strain across a strain gauge using a comparatively large resistor placed in parallel with said strain gauge. This virtual strain can be worked out rather simply and the readout obtained from the shunt load (i.e. the value output from the measuring system) can be correlated to the strain.

My problem is that, from what I can see, shunt calibration is done with one resistor. How does one account for the deviance of the strain gauge through a range of possible loads if one only has one calibration point?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You didn't say where you had been reading, but I expect the example was diagramatic.
There is nothing stopping you having many (switched) parallel calibration resistors and in fact that is what commercial systems do.

Sorry about prior vagueness.

The system I have my hands on a.t.m is one provided by a university (i.e I cannot make alterations to it).

System readout is digital numeric and is uncalibrated (values attained are in the hundreds whilst I know for a fact that stress is around 10MPa).

As far as I can see, the setup is one in which the shunt resistor is soldered into place with a switch to cut it off from the system when it is not being calibrated, I also see no other connections available for parallel resistors.

Is there a way to do calibration of a range with only one shunt resistor? ... though I suspect the accuracy of such a method would be doubtable.

1. What is shunt calibration of a strain gauge?

Shunt calibration of a strain gauge is a method used to compensate for errors in the measurement of strain using a strain gauge. It involves connecting a known resistance in parallel with the strain gauge, which helps to adjust the output signal to the correct value.

2. Why is shunt calibration necessary for strain gauges?

Strain gauges can have various sources of error, such as temperature changes or variations in the gauge factor. Shunt calibration allows for these errors to be corrected, resulting in more accurate and precise strain measurements.

3. How does shunt calibration work?

Shunt calibration works by connecting a known resistance, called a shunt resistor, in parallel with the strain gauge. This creates a voltage divider circuit, which adjusts the output voltage of the strain gauge to the correct value.

4. When should shunt calibration be performed?

Shunt calibration should be performed whenever there is a change in the operating conditions of the strain gauge, such as temperature or applied load. It is also recommended to perform shunt calibration periodically to ensure accurate and reliable measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to shunt calibration?

Shunt calibration can only compensate for certain types of errors in strain measurement, such as changes in resistance. It cannot correct for errors caused by improper installation or damage to the strain gauge. Additionally, shunt calibration may not be effective for strain gauges with high gauge factors or in applications with high levels of electromagnetic interference.