Shuttle Processing - great pics

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processing
In summary, the conversation is about a series of photos featuring the payload insertion process for a shuttle launch. The participants express surprise and admiration for the process and question the need for hard hats in the hangar. They also discuss the safety precautions in place to ensure that nothing falls during the process. Overall, the photos are praised for their uniqueness and the importance of securing every aspect of the launch is emphasized.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB11&Number=1016238 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A great series of photos, I enjoyed seeing those. Thanks!

Thanks, Ivan. That's very interesting, and excellent photography.

I didn't realize they insert the payload while on the pad. That's a little odd.

How come people working around shuttle don't wear hard hats? Is that hangar really that safe?

I had the same thoughts as Russ. It seems kinda strange to have all that extra infrastructure to load the cargo. There are no photos of that portion of the prep. Maybe it is a safety precaution to mate the cargo at the last moment to mitigate any hazzard exposure to the cargo, as sometimes it is worth hundreds of millions of dollars if not more? Seems like a lot of steps to go through tho. Realy cool photographs, Thanks.

Adding the payload at the pad kind of surprised me, too. I wonder if it might have something to do with either the load capacity or balancing issues with the crawler.

waht said:
How come people working around shuttle don't wear hard hats? Is that hangar really that safe?

Yeah, it's an unusual sight. I would guess that nothing falls in that place, as in "NOTHING falls". Every nut and bolt must be secured and accounted for, unlike your typical building site. At some point, not even a hair falls as all workers wear clean room attire.

Great pics!

out of whack said:
Yeah, it's an unusual sight. I would guess that nothing falls in that place, as in "NOTHING falls". Every nut and bolt must be secured and accounted for, unlike your typical building site. At some point, not even a hair falls as all workers wear clean room attire.

Either that, or anything capable of falling is too big for your average hard-hat to be of any use!

When I've been on geology field trips and forced to wear a helmet, the guide has always stressed to us "This thing will protect you from falling pebbles. Anything larger and whether or not you have your helmet on will be inconsequential."

That's why hard hats are largely protection against your own stupidity, not objects falling on you. If there's nothing for you to bump your head on, no need for a hard hat.

Very cool photos!

1. What is shuttle processing?

Shuttle processing is the series of steps and procedures that are carried out to prepare a space shuttle for launch. This includes everything from assembling the shuttle components to testing and fueling the shuttle.

2. How long does shuttle processing take?

The time required for shuttle processing varies depending on the specific mission and any unforeseen issues that may arise. On average, it takes around 3 months to process a shuttle for launch.

3. What happens during shuttle processing?

During shuttle processing, various tasks are completed including the installation of payloads, testing of systems and components, and loading of fuel and supplies. The shuttle is also inspected and prepared for launch during this time.

4. Who is responsible for shuttle processing?

Shuttle processing is a joint effort between NASA and the contractor responsible for building and maintaining the shuttle. NASA oversees the overall process and the contractor carries out the necessary tasks.

5. What are some important safety precautions during shuttle processing?

Safety is a top priority during shuttle processing. Some important precautions include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following strict protocols for handling hazardous materials, and conducting thorough inspections and tests before launch.