Side channel on the headphone jack

• Thread starter keystroke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Channel
In summary: Thanks!No, there is no data present in the signal on the headphone jack if you are not outputting an audio waveform.
keystroke
I'm playing around with an oscilloscope and my laptop's headphone jack. I get the tip/ring/ground and measure between them. I also measure between them and an external reference ground. I notice I can see when the battery is charging. That is, if the battery is not in the laptop but the AC is in, then I insert the battery, it runs through some software or something in the battery for a few seconds and then if the battery is not full, it goes to a waveform - if it is full, it goes to another "quieter" waveform.

I am just doing this for fun. Can anyone think of interesting experiments I can do? I would like to see about extracting signal from the noise of the waveform.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can download a signal generator program. That would let you output various waveforms from the computers audio card. Depending on the type of scope you could also try to pick up the RGB sync signals from the computers VGA output. There are a lot of things you could look at.

Last edited by a moderator:
dillonjerry said:
You can download a signal generator program. That would let you output various waveforms from the computers audio card. Depending on the type of scope you could also try to pick up the RGB sync signals from the computers VGA output. There are a lot of things you could look at.

Thanks dillonjerry. Might there be any data present in the signal on the headphone jack if I am not putting out an audio waveform? ie. by virtue of the circuit passing through some of the data processing elements of the motherboard.

For instance in a way similar to the paper published here:
https://www.defcon.org/images/defco...on-17-barisani-bianco-sniff_keystrokes-wp.pdf
or
http://cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/acoustic/ (Here the noise comes from a bank of 1500µF capacitors).

Last edited:

Related to Side channel on the headphone jack

What is a side channel on the headphone jack?

A side channel on the headphone jack is an additional connection point on the jack that allows for communication between the device and the connected headphones. It is separate from the main audio channel and is used for features like microphone input or remote control functions.

How does the side channel work?

The side channel works by using an additional wire or connection point on the headphone jack to transmit signals from the device to the headphones. This allows for bi-directional communication between the two, allowing for features like microphone input or remote control functions.

What are some examples of features that use the side channel on the headphone jack?

Features that use the side channel on the headphone jack include microphone input for phone calls or voice recording, remote control functions such as play/pause and volume control, and in-line microphone and remote controls on headphones.

Why is the side channel important for headphone jacks?

The side channel is important for headphone jacks because it allows for additional functionality and features beyond just audio playback. It also allows for more seamless integration between devices and headphones, making them more user-friendly and versatile.

Can the side channel be used for data transfer?

Yes, the side channel on the headphone jack can also be used for data transfer, although it may not be as fast or efficient as other methods. Some devices, such as credit card readers or fitness trackers, use the side channel on the headphone jack for data transfer.