Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sigma Algebra on Omega (Sample Space)

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    2ikcc4o.jpg

Respected Members,

Suppose Ω is the set of eight possible outcomes of three coin tosses i.e. Ω={{HHH, HHT, HTH, HTTT, THH, THT, TTH, TTT}
    So if we are not told the results then the sigma algebra ( denoted by F_α) at position α=0 is
    F_0 = {∅, Ω}

Now if are told the first coin toss only then,
    A_H={HHH, HHT, HTH, HTTT}, and A_T={THH, THT, TTH, TTT}
    which the sigma Algebra at α=1 is
    F_1={∅, Ω, A_H, A_T}

now in the attached picture the proof says that

A_1, A_2,....., A_n,.... ε ∩_αεI F

if we just consider two sigma algebras for our convenience to check this lets take the intersection of two above coin toss's sigma algebras i.e. F_0 and F_1

for I= 0 and 1,

∩_αεI F_α = F_0 ∩ F_1 = {∅, Ω} ∩ {∅, Ω, A_H, A_T} = {∅, Ω} ----(BETA)

the proof says that A_1, A_2,....., A_n,.... ε ∩_αεI F_α , and if we consider A_1 as A_H and A_2 as A_T then why are they not in the intersection of F_0 ∩ F_1 as shown in (BETA) ?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2
    You have [itex]\mathcal F_0=\{\emptyset,\Omega\}[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal F_1=\{\emptyset,A_H,A_T\Omega\}[/itex]. In particular, since [itex]\mathcal F_0\subseteq \mathcal F_1[/itex], your example has [itex]\mathcal F_0\cap\mathcal F_1=\mathcal F_0[/itex].

What you need for your hypothesis is [itex]A_i \in \mathcal F_0\cap\mathcal F_1=\mathcal F_0=\{\emptyset,\Omega\}[/itex] for every [itex]i[/itex]. That is, every [itex]A_i[/itex] is either empty or the whole state space; in particular, you can't use [itex]A_i=A_H[/itex] or [itex]A_i=A_T[/itex]. To verify the union, notice that the union is just [itex]\Omega[/itex] if at least one of your [itex]A_i=\Omega[/itex] and [itex]\emptyset[/itex] if (the only other possibility) every [itex]A_i=\emptyset[/itex]. In particular, either way, [itex]\bigcup_i A_i \in \mathcal F_0.[/itex]

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3
    Why not A_i=A_H or A_T ? Lets say, A_1={ø}, A_2={Omega}, A_3=A_H and A_4=A_T then A_1, A_2, A_3, A_4 belongs to intersection_alpha belongs to I F_alpha, here F_alpha is F_0
    After all A_H and A_T are the subsets of Omega, and definition 7 says that algebra is a collection of subsets of Omega.

Ps. Sorry, I am on train and typing this message on mobile therefore I am unable to add accurate symbols :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook