Sigma and Pi Bonds: Questions for Novices

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
shihab-kol
Messages
119
Reaction score
8
I am a novice and new to bonding and there are a few clarifications I need.
1) Does a single covalent bond always mean a sigma bond?
2) Does a double covalent bond always mean 1 sigma and 1 pi?
3) And does a triple covalent bond always mean 1 sigma and 2 pi bonds?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
shihab-kol said:
I am a novice and new to bonding and there are a few clarifications I need.
1) Does a single covalent bond always mean a sigma bond?
2) Does a double covalent bond always mean 1 sigma and 1 pi?
3) And does a triple covalent bond always mean 1 sigma and 2 pi bonds?

How is a sigma and pi bond defined, exactly?