Sigma notation: What exactly is i?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the "index of summation" and its role in representing a variable being changed in a sum. This index, often represented by the letter "i", serves as a placeholder for a specific number or object in the sum. It is similar to the use of pronouns in language, where the specific meaning is dependent on the context.
giant016
I've kind of got this approximating the area of a plane region down, but I don't know what i really is. The book calls it the "index of summation", which might as well be a foreign language.

On a similar note, what is c sub i?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you're summing up ten things, you could label each one with a number from one to ten. Conventionally, this label would be drawn as a subscript. If you had ten apples, each represented by the letter a, then each individual apple would be labeled a1 to a10.

If you were to add up something about them -- say, their weight -- you would have a sum that runs from 1 to 10. If the weight of an apple is represented by w(ai), then the sum would look like:

[itex]
\sum\limits_{i = 1}^{10} {w\left( {a_i } \right)}
[/itex]

In english, this would be spoken "the sum of the weight of apples a-one through a-ten." The "index of summation" is the variable that is being changed; in this case, it's i.

- Warren

i is nothing. it could also be r or q or j or anything else. it is like a preposition "it", which emans nothing unlkess you know the antecedent.

it is just sued as a pplace holder for something else, that is why an innocuous lookingn letter with no emaning of its own is chosen.

in warren's example, "i" variously holds the place of the numbers 1,2,3,4,...,10.its like asking what "he" means in the sentence "If anyone in the class needs help, I'm going to see he gets it."

just as "he" refers back to anyone who needs help, so "i" refers back to the numbers 1,...10.

1. What does the letter "i" represent in Sigma notation?

The letter "i" in Sigma notation represents the index or variable of summation. It is used to indicate the position of each term in the series.

2. How is "i" related to the number of terms in the series?

The value of "i" is directly related to the number of terms in the series as it represents the position of each term. For example, if the series starts at i=1 and ends at i=5, there are 5 terms in the series.

3. Can "i" be replaced with any other letter or symbol?

Yes, "i" can be replaced with any other letter or symbol as long as it is used consistently throughout the notation. Other common variables used in Sigma notation include j, k, and n.

4. How do you interpret the upper and lower limits of "i" in Sigma notation?

The upper and lower limits of "i" in Sigma notation represent the starting and ending points of the series. The lower limit is the value of "i" at the beginning of the series, and the upper limit is the value of "i" at the end of the series.

5. What is the purpose of "i" in Sigma notation?

The purpose of "i" in Sigma notation is to simplify and condense the representation of a series. It allows for a shorthand way to represent a sum of terms without having to write out each individual term.