1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signal, noise, and, unequal variances

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have two overlapping Gaussian distributions. One for probability of a noise event, one for probability of a signal event.
    My noise distribution has mean = 0, variance = 1, and standard deviation = 1.
    My signal distribution has mean = .80, variance = 3, and standard deviation = √3.

My criterion (λ ) is at 0.5 standard deviations above the mean on the noise distribution.

I need to calculate probability of a hit (PH) and probability of a false alarm (PF).

To get PF , I use 1- PCorrect Rejection, or 1 – Ф(0.5), which, using a Z to % conversion table, gives me 1- 0.691 = 0.31. (In my book, Ф(Z) just means converting a Z-score to % of area under the curve.)

To get PH, I first need to standardize the Z score for λ on the signal distribution since it has a different variance:

λ = (λ - μsignal)/σ signal = (0.5-0.8) / √3 = - 0.173

PH = 1 - Ф(-0.173) or by symmetry, PH = Ф(0.173) = 0.57. (again, using a Z to % conversion table to look up the area.)

So.. PF = = 0.31 and PH = 0.57.

I'm not sure if I did this right. I am shaky with unequal variances. If someone could check I'd appreciate it.

I need to sketch the overlapping distributions. Since I have standardized the z-score on the signal distribution, do I make it look identical to the noise curve (with a standard deviation of 1), or do I draw it short and wide as it is originally described?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?