Signal strength parameter (interpretation)

In summary, the signal strength parameter μ, defined in Eq. 1 and represented in Fig. 1, is the ratio of the observed i->H->f to the expected value predicted by the standard model. A value >1 indicates a signal excess, while a value <1 indicates an underestimation. This parameter only takes into account the Higgs background, as the background in data is subtracted before μ is calculated. However, if there is an overestimation in the background compared to data, the estimated signal strength can result in negative values.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
How can in general the signal strength parameter ##\mu## be interpreted?

I am talking for the parameter defined in Eq.1 here and plots like the Fig.1 here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1507.04548

It says that it's the ratio of the i->H->f of the observed over what's expected by the SM... is the last the cross section prediction of the Higgs or for any other background?
Then what would the <1 or >1 indicate? I think the >1 indicate a signal excess, while the <1 indicate a signal underestimation(?)

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
is the last the cross section prediction of the Higgs or for any other background?
Only Higgs. The background in data is subtracted before μ is calculated.
ChrisVer said:
Then what would the <1 or >1 indicate?
A deviation from the standard model. If μ=1 gets ruled out in some channel, things get interesting.

mfb said:
Only Higgs. The background in data is subtracted before μ is calculated.

Is that the case even if you have background overestimation compared to data?

I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you overestimate something, you are doing something wrong and should fix it, or not use what you cannot get right.

mfb said:
I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you overestimate something, you are doing something wrong and should fix it, or not use what you cannot get right.
Well it's not unusual to get overestimates like these [at <120 or 140GeV]:
http://cms.web.cern.ch/sites/cms.we...ZMass_7Plus8TeV_70-180_3GeV.png?itok=k2MlxuLT
In which case subtracting the estimates from data will result to negative values.

That is (hopefully) not an overestimate, just a statistical fluctuation. Yes, estimated signal strengths can be negative. As a random example, this ATLAS note has -0.4 +- 1.1 for VH -> Vbb in table 2. Note that it is consistent with 1, the uncertainties were just very large in 2012.

1. What is the signal strength parameter?

The signal strength parameter is a measure of the magnitude of a signal, typically in decibels (dB). It represents the power level of a signal as it travels from the source to the receiver.

2. How is the signal strength parameter interpreted?

The signal strength parameter is typically interpreted on a logarithmic scale, with higher values indicating a stronger signal. For example, a signal with a strength of -50 dB is considered stronger than a signal with a strength of -70 dB.

3. What factors can affect the signal strength parameter?

Several factors can affect the signal strength parameter, including distance from the source, obstacles or interference in the signal path, and the quality of the transmitting and receiving equipment.

4. How is the signal strength parameter measured?

The signal strength parameter is typically measured using a specialized device, such as a spectrum analyzer or a signal strength meter. These devices can accurately measure the power level of a signal in decibels.

5. Why is the signal strength parameter important?

The signal strength parameter is important because it can impact the quality and reliability of a communication or data transmission. A stronger signal can result in better performance and fewer errors, while a weaker signal can lead to dropped connections and slower data speeds.