Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Significance of snap rings in a turbo

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    Why are snap rings used in turbocharger core assembly ,and how important are they ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Hmmmmm. Sorry if this sounds like a smart a$$ answer but if they are there I am sure it is for a good reason. Like to hold it together?

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    They hold bearings in place and are easily installed. Rods/shafts have to be passed through casings and turbo internals before the bearings can be installed, so the best way to hold bearings in one spot is to use snap rings.

They are very important.

5. Jul 16, 2012 #4
    You have already heard good answers. Snap rings are cheap and effective means of holding such things as bearings and seals in place.

But a general comment about turbo machinery is probably in order. Two things cost probably the most in the design phase. They are how things change dimensions with heat and stress, and vibration. Often, at least part of the solution to these concerns will involve a snap ring rather than some other retention device.

6. Jul 19, 2012 #5
    Snap rings that hold the housings together or snap rings that hold the bearings?

7. Jul 21, 2012 #6
    well i happened to see a turbo being assembled ..thats where i saw snap rings ..what material are they made of ..and do you mean to hold together the journal bearings ?

8. Jul 30, 2012 #7
    On my 3000gt VR4, they hold the cold side compressor housing on as well as the bearings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook