Significance of the angle theta at r=0 point

In summary, the angle θ has no significance when r=0 since it does not affect any properties of the point and is typically left undefined.
C. Lee
Hello,

I was working on a classical mechanics problem, and I suddenly came up with this question:

Let's think about a point in a 2-D plane. This point is represented by (r, θ), where r is the distance between the origin and the point and θ is the angle measured from the x-axis.

Now, what is the significance of the angle θ if r=0?

Personally, I do not think θ has any significance because θ do not affect any property of the point since it is located exactly at the origin. To me, it makes no sense at all to specify a point at the origin with an angle.

Is there any case where θ has any physical(or mathematical) significance although r=0?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
C. Lee said:
Is there any case where θ has any physical(or mathematical) significance although r=0?
No. We usually define the origin as the point (0, 0) and leave the points (0, θ) where θ ≠ 0 undefined.

What is the significance of the angle theta at r=0 point?

The angle theta at r=0 point is significant because it represents the direction of the vector at that point. It can also give information about the slope and curvature of a function at that point.

How is the angle theta at r=0 point calculated?

The angle theta at r=0 point can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It can also be calculated using the inverse trigonometric functions if the coordinates of the point are known.

What does a theta value of 0 or 180 degrees at r=0 point indicate?

A theta value of 0 degrees at r=0 point indicates that the vector is pointing in the positive x-axis direction. A theta value of 180 degrees indicates that the vector is pointing in the negative x-axis direction.

Why is the angle theta at r=0 point important in polar coordinates?

The angle theta at r=0 point is important in polar coordinates because it is used to locate a point in the polar coordinate system. It is also used to convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates.

How does the angle theta at r=0 point affect the graph of a polar equation?

The angle theta at r=0 point can affect the graph of a polar equation by changing the direction and shape of the curve. It can also determine if the curve will be symmetric or asymmetric about the origin.