Silicon not heating with induction heater?

In summary: So a frequency of 100 MHz would be more than adequate.In summary, the heater frequency is too low for melting silicon. Higher frequencies are needed to heat the substrate properly.
Patrick Underwood
I’m using an inductive heater to try to melt some 99.85% polycrystalline silicon, as would occur in the Czochralski process, but the silicon workpiece is not melting let alone even getting hot. The silicon workpiece is about the size of a playing dice. It becomes conductive at 200 F and becomes fully conductive at 230 F. Even after preheating the workpiece well above the point at which it becomes conductive, the inductive heater still doesn’t “take over” to raise the temperature. The inductive heater works fine with other conductive materials such as iron, aluminum, and copper and heats them quite effectively. Heating silicon inductively is a well established process but due to confidentiality I have not come across any details regarding the frequency needed.
- The frequency of the heater I am using is 90KHz and was confirmed with an oscilloscope.

Science news on Phys.org
upload_2019-1-7_20-35-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-7_20-35-50.png
    upload_2019-1-7_20-35-50.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 430
Patrick Underwood said:
I’m using an inductive heater to try to melt some 99.85% polycrystalline silicon, as would occur in the Czochralski process, but the silicon workpiece is not melting let alone even getting hot. The silicon workpiece is about the size of a playing dice. It becomes conductive at 200 F and becomes fully conductive at 230 F. Even after preheating the workpiece well above the point at which it becomes conductive, the inductive heater still doesn’t “take over” to raise the temperature. The inductive heater works fine with other conductive materials such as iron, aluminum, and copper and heats them quite effectively. Heating silicon inductively is a well established process but due to confidentiality I have not come across any details regarding the frequency needed.
- The frequency of the heater I am using is 90KHz and was confirmed with an oscilloscope.
Your heater frequency is a way too low for silicon. You need at least 100 MHz for effective heating of high-resistance substrates like silicon. Also, powdering silicon actually would make heating even less effective.

Likes tech99 and berkeman
Thank you trurle for the reply.
See that's what I was also thinking... When you say high-resistance substrates I assume you mean electrical resistivity. I do see now mathematically that if the resistivity is higher it would require a higher frequency. Yeah...so we have a mathematical error. The resistivity of intrinsic silicon only gets to about .006 ohm cm when heated not 2 * 10^-6.

Likes trurle

1. Why doesn't silicon heat up with an induction heater?

Silicon is a semiconductor material, meaning it has a very high resistance to electrical current. Induction heaters rely on the flow of electrical currents to generate heat, but since silicon has such a high resistance, it does not allow enough current to flow through it to generate significant heat.

2. Can silicon be heated with an induction heater?

Technically, yes, silicon can be heated with an induction heater. However, it requires a very high frequency and power output, which is not practical for most induction heaters. Additionally, heating silicon with an induction heater can cause damage to the material due to its high resistance.

3. Are there any alternatives to using an induction heater to heat silicon?

Yes, there are other methods of heating silicon that are more effective and efficient. These include using a resistance heater, laser heating, or using a furnace with a controlled atmosphere. These methods are better suited for heating silicon and can provide more consistent and controlled heating.

4. Is it possible to modify an induction heater to heat silicon?

In theory, it is possible to modify an induction heater to heat silicon. However, it would require significant changes to the design and components of the heater, and it may not be cost-effective. It is generally more practical to use a different heating method for silicon rather than modifying an induction heater.

5. Can silicon be heated indirectly with an induction heater?

Yes, it is possible to indirectly heat silicon with an induction heater by using a conductive material such as graphite. The induction heater will heat the conductive material, and the heat will transfer to the silicon. However, this method may not be as efficient as using a direct heating method for silicon.