1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple 2-D Wave Equation Problem

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the boundary value problem

[itex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t^2} = c^2 (\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2})[/itex],
    [itex]0<x<a[/itex],
    [itex]0<y<b[/itex], and
    [itex]t>0[/itex]

for the boundary conditions

[itex]u(0,y,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]u(a,y,t) = 0[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq y \leq b[/itex] and [itex]t\geq0[/itex] and
    [itex]u(x,0,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]u(x,b,t) = 0[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq x \leq a[/itex] and [itex]t\geq0[/itex]

and the initial conditions

[itex]u(x,y,0) = f(x,y)[/itex] and
    [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,y,0) = g(x,y)[/itex]

with [itex]a=b=1[/itex], [itex]c=1/\pi[/itex] and the given functions [itex]f(x,y) = sin(\pi x)sin(\pi y)[/itex] and [itex]g(x,y) = sin(\pi x)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

The derived solution to the two dimensional wave equation with the above boundary and initial conditions is

[itex]u(x,y,t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \sum_{m=1}^\infty (B_{mn} cos \lambda_{mn} t + B_{mn}^* sin \lambda_{mn} t) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} cos \frac {n \pi y}{b}[/itex]

where

[itex]\lambda_{mn} = c \pi \sqrt{\frac{m^2}{a^2} + \frac{n^2}{b^2}}[/itex]

and

[itex]B_{mn} = \frac{4}{a b} \int_0^b \int_0^a f(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]

and

[itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{a b \lambda_{mn}} \int_0^b \int_0^a g(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, with all of that out of the way, this should be a pretty simple problem of just plugging in numbers. However, for some reason, I seem to keep getting [itex]B_{mn}[/itex] and [itex]B_{mn}^*[/itex] to be zero, which, in turn, means the whole thing is zero, unless I'm misunderstanding something or missing something - which, for as long as I've been staring at this problem, could very well be the case.

Starting with [itex]\lambda_{mn}[/itex],

[itex]\lambda_{mn} = c \pi \sqrt{\frac{m^2}{a^2} + \frac{n^2}{b^2}} = \frac{\pi}{\pi} \sqrt{\frac{m^2}{1^2} + \frac{n^2}{1^2}} = \sqrt{m^2 + n^2}[/itex].

Next, [itex]B_{mn}[/itex],

[itex]B_{mn} = \frac{4}{a b} \int_0^b \int_0^a f(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]
    [itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x)sin(\pi y) sin(m \pi x)sin(n \pi y)dx dy[/itex]
    [itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x) dx \int_0^1 sin(\pi y) sin(n \pi y) dy [/itex]
    [itex]B_{mn} = 4 [\frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m-1)\pi}][\frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n-1)\pi}][/itex]

For all [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] where [itex]m, n = 1, 2, ...[/itex], [itex]B_{mn} = 0[/itex] because of this [itex]sin(\pi i)[/itex] term. I might be missing something obvious here, but I think this is correct. This, in and of itself, doesn't bother me. However, repeating for [itex]B_{mn}^*[/itex],

[itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{a b \lambda_{mn}} \int_0^b \int_0^a g(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]
    [itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{\sqrt{m^2+n^2}} \int_0^1 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x)sin(n \pi y)dx dy[/itex]
    [itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{\sqrt{m^2+n^2}} \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x) dx \int_0^1 sin(n \pi y) dy [/itex]
    [itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{\sqrt{m^2+n^2}} [\frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m-1)\pi}][\frac{1}{n \pi} - \frac{cos(n \pi)}{n \pi}][/itex]

As before, for all [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] where [itex]m, n = 1, 2, ...[/itex], [itex]B_{mn}^* = 0[/itex] because of this [itex]sin(\pi i)[/itex] term. So, given that what I have here seems to indicate that I'm doing something wrong, I figured I would ask for some assistance. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, but I've been staring at this problem for too long to see it. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    There are at least two mistakes here. The transition from the first line to the second is incorrect. If you change the variables so that x: (0, a) -> (0, 1) nd y: (0, b) -> (0,1), that change should affect x and y everywhere, including f(x, y).

The second mistake is ignoring m = 1 and n = 1.

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    Can you clarify what you mean by the transition from the first line to the second line being incorrect? All I am doing here is substituting in the given values into the first line: [itex]a=1[/itex] and [itex]b=1[/itex]. [itex]f(x,y)[/itex], as given in the problem statement, does not include an a or b term. It is just simply inserted in place in the equation. The third and fourth terms inside the integrals on the second line included an a and b, respectively, and they were set equal to one. The values of x and y are not being worked with at that stage.

As an aside, the solution given on the last line I was able to symbolically confirm as well with my TI-89.

What do you mean here? If m or n is set to any whole number value, [itex]sin(\pi m)[/itex] or [itex]sin(\pi n)[/itex] are equal to 0.

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What he means is that the integral formula you used for those integrals does not work when ##m=1## or ##n=1##. They have to be done separately.

6. Oct 8, 2012 #5
    Silly me, I missed that! Please ignore that part.

Do you see that in the formulae you got after integration, you have (m - 1) and (n - 1) in denominators? When m = 1 and n = 1, those terms blow up. This is an indication of a problem with your integration. The problem is that before integration those terms were ## \cos (m - 1)\pi x = \cos (1 - 1) \pi x = 1 ## and ##\cos (n - 1) \pi y = \cos (1 - 1) \pi y = 1 ##, i.e., constants, so their integrals cannot be zero.

7. Oct 9, 2012 #6
    I believe I understand what you two are saying, but I'm not quite sure I know how to implement it. I've been working on this assignment for a bit too long to really comprehend anything at this point unfortunately. Can you be a bit more specific about how I might start to set something like that up?

8. Oct 9, 2012 #7
    Between this: [itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x) dx \int_0^1 sin(\pi y) sin(n \pi y) dy [/itex] and this:
    [itex]B_{mn} = 4 [\frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m-1)\pi}][\frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n-1)\pi}][/itex], what was the intermediate equation?

Evaluate this intermediate equation for m = 1 and n = 1. The same applies to ## B_{mn}^* ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook