• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple acceleration, force, and mass question

Homework Statement

A 30 tonne jumbo jet accelerates down the runway at 4 m/s².What must be the thrust on
each of its four engines?

Homework Equations

Acceleration = force/mass

the formula gives acceleration in m/s², provided that the force is in N and the mass is in kg

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I attempted (Not sure if it's correct)

Firstly, we need to convert the tonne into kg. Therefore, 30 tonne = 30000kg

Step 1: Acceleration = force/mass
Step 2 (embedding the digits): 4 = f/30000
Step 3 (multiplying both sides by 30000) 4 x 30000 = f/30000 (30000)
Step 4 (Simplifying) 120000 = F

I found that my answer is 120000 Newtons (N) is the total thrust but because there is 4 engines, we must divide the force by 4, which will amount to 30000 newtons on each engine.

^that is my reasoning for this question which I suspect is probably flawed in one way or another for a couple of reasons. I'd like your help in knowing if I did something incorrect and if so, I'd like your help in correcting it.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A 30 tonne jumbo jet accelerates down the runway at 4 m/s².What must be the thrust on
each of its four engines?

Homework Equations

Acceleration = force/mass

the formula gives acceleration in m/s², provided that the force is in N and the mass is in kg

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I attempted (Not sure if it's correct)

Firstly, we need to convert the tonne into kg. Therefore, 30 tonne = 30000kg

Step 1: Acceleration = force/mass
Step 2 (embedding the digits): 4 = f/30000
Step 3 (multiplying both sides by 30000) 4 x 30000 = f/30000 (30000)
Step 4 (Simplifying) 120000 = F

I found that my answer is 120000 Newtons (N) is the total thrust but because there is 4 engines, we must divide the force by 4, which will amount to 30000 newtons on each engine.

^that is my reasoning for this question which I suspect is probably flawed in one way or another for a couple of reasons. I'd like your help in knowing if I did something incorrect and if so, I'd like your help in correcting it.
I think it's perfectly correct.

Likes 1 person