Simple Algebra problem, but done with reference frames

In summary, an escalator has 80 steps. It takes 16 steps to go up at two steps per second and it takes 80 steps to go up at one step per second.
QuietMind

Homework Statement

Sonia walks up an escalator which is going up. When she walks at one step per second, it takes her 20 steps to get to the top. If she walks at two steps per second, it takes her 32 steps to get to the top. She never skips over any steps. How many steps does the escalator have?

Homework Equations

No equations, but the relevant example from the text (Art and Craft of Problem Solving, Zeitz) is an example of a person swimming upstream a river for an hour. (Here I paraphrase the problem) After realizing she dropped her hat as she started swimming, she has to turn around and retrieve the hat. How long will the swim back towards the hat take? The answer is 1 hour, regardless of the speed of the current, because from the point of view from the hat, the girl swims away for an hour, so must swim back for an hour

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the algebra and got 80 steps, but I'm looking for guidance on a solution that uses reference frames to do the problem simply without (or minimal) algebra. Let's examine the reference frame of the escalator's steps. To the escalator, the girl is moving up at one step per second in the first case and takes 20 seconds. In the second case, she moves two steps per second and takes 16 seconds.

I'm struggling to see this with reference frames. From the point of view of the steps, she is moving twice as fast in the second case but for a different amount of time. Is there an intuitive way to think about this?

(I am under the assumption there is a way to do this with changing the point of view, as that was the pedagogical emphasis of the example)

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you have an algebraic solution for the stationary reference frame. You need to show that. The solution in the escalator reference frame should be closely related.

My algebraic solution:

Let D be the number of steps total and let s be the speed of the escalator.
It took 20 seconds in the first case and 16 in the second case.

## D = (s + 1) 20 ##
## D = (s+2) 16##

##(s+1)20 = (s+2) 16 ##
##4s = 12 ##
## s = 3 ##

Then ## D = 4*20 = 80 ##

To do this in a different reference frame, would I define s' = 0, and define D' = D - s*time?

What is a reference frame in algebra?

A reference frame in algebra is a way of looking at and solving a problem by using a specific set of coordinates or points of reference. This can help to simplify a problem and make it easier to understand.

How do you use reference frames in algebra?

To use reference frames in algebra, you first need to choose a set of coordinates or points of reference. Then, you can use these points to solve the problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

Why is using reference frames helpful in solving algebra problems?

Using reference frames can be helpful in solving algebra problems because it allows you to approach the problem from a different perspective and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make the problem easier to understand and solve.

What types of problems can be solved using reference frames in algebra?

Reference frames can be used to solve a wide range of algebra problems, such as linear equations, systems of equations, and graphing functions. They can also be used in more complex problems involving vectors and motion.

Are there any limitations to using reference frames in algebra?

While reference frames can be a useful tool in solving algebra problems, they may not be applicable to all types of problems. Some problems may not lend themselves to being solved using reference frames, and in those cases, other methods may be more appropriate.