Simple but annoying characteristic of congruences

  • Thread starter Thread starter trap101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Characteristic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
trap101
Messages
339
Reaction score
0
I've been having this small problem with modulo arithmetic that's just irking me and this is the perfect example to get clarifivation

find the remainder for 75 congruent to x (mod 21)


here's my issue...so I'd set this up to solve and see if I could find this relationship

7[itex]\equiv[/itex] x (mod 21)...now 7 is a multiple of 21, but of course 21 doesn't divide 7 unless we take into account the negative numbers which would produce 7 [itex]\equiv[/itex] -12 (mod 21)...is this the right way to look at that?

the next thing I did and which made it easier was look at 72 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 7 (mod 21) ...now I have 75 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 7 (mod 21) when all is said and done...but the fact that I know 7 has a relationship with 21 is sitting uneasy with me...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know what's sitting uneasy with you. Sure, if 7^2=7 (mod 21) then 7^5=7 (mod 21).
 
Dick said:
Don't know what's sitting uneasy with you. Sure, if 7^2=7 (mod 21) then 7^5=7 (mod 21).



Well it has to do with an RSA encoding question, in order to encode my message which in this case is 7, I have to send the remainder when I raise 7 to the power of 5...which ended up being 7. Probably I'm just over thinking it