Remainders by modular arithmatic

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
In summary, to find the remainders for the given congruences, you can use repeated squaring and taking mods to simplify the calculations. For the first congruence, 2293\equiv x (mod 15), you can get 2^8\equiv 1 (mod 15) which simplifies to 2^4\equiv 1 (mod 15) and then use this to get 2^22\equiv 4 (mod 15). For the second congruence, 243101\equiv x(mod 8), you can get 2^4\equiv 1 (mod 8) which simplifies to 2^100\equiv 1 (mod 8)
trap101
find the remainders for

a) 2293[itex]\equiv[/itex] x (mod 15)

b) 243101[itex]\equiv[/itex] x(mod 8)

c) 52001 + (27)! [itex]\equiv[/itex] x (mod 8)

a) I was able to equate 2[itex]\equiv[/itex]-13(mod15) ==> 22[itex]\equiv[/itex]4(mod15)

my idea here was to get 29 and then multiply by a power of 100 which would give me 900 and then work out the other 23 from there, but I've already hit a road block...I'm going to end up with a huge number just from the product of the moduluses...maybe that's what is suppose to happen, but I'm under the assumption that I'm suppose to figure these out without a calculator.

b) I was able to work it down to a congruence of 243 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 3(mod 8) but if I raise that to the 101 on both sides...again I'm out of luck in terms of the 3.

help please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try going up in larger steps by using powers. 2^2=4 mod 15. Square both sides, so 2^4=4^2=1 mod 15. You can get up to 2^8, 2^16 pretty easily by repeated squaring and taking mods. But look at 2^4=1 mod 15. That's pretty useful!

Thanks I actually figured it out with that hint. I had one more question, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it:

Show that their is no digit "a" such that the number 2794a1 is divisible by 8.

So I tried to apply the rule that "every natural number is congruent to the sum of its digits modulo 9"

Now I know this isn't 9, but I tried this:

2 x 105 + 7 x 104 +...+ a x 10 + 1

working out the mods of the 10's I got

10 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 2(mod 8)
102[itex]\equiv[/itex] 4(mod 8)
103, 104, 105 were all [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 8)

I have a feeling the other two are as well but I don't think I want to deal with negatives.

Doing this and combining the info I obtained this expression after multiplying by the modulus and following the rules:

= 4+a+1
= 5 + a (mod 8)

but obviously there are some values that will allow this to be divisble by 8, so I messed up somewhere.

trap101 said:
Thanks I actually figured it out with that hint. I had one more question, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it:

Show that their is no digit "a" such that the number 2794a1 is divisible by 8.

So I tried to apply the rule that "every natural number is congruent to the sum of its digits modulo 9"

Now I know this isn't 9, but I tried this:

2 x 105 + 7 x 104 +...+ a x 10 + 1

working out the mods of the 10's I got

10 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 2(mod 8)
102[itex]\equiv[/itex] 4(mod 8)
103, 104, 105 were all [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 8)

I have a feeling the other two are as well but I don't think I want to deal with negatives.

Doing this and combining the info I obtained this expression after multiplying by the modulus and following the rules:

= 4+a+1
= 5 + a (mod 8)

but obviously there are some values that will allow this to be divisble by 8, so I messed up somewhere.

Yeah, you messed up. You don't just want to add the digits, do you? The value mod 8 will be the value of each of the digits times the mod value of the corresponding power of 10. What equation do you really want to solve?

1) What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a certain number, known as the modulus.

2) How is modular arithmetic used in computer science?

Modular arithmetic is often used in computer science to perform calculations involving large numbers, as it allows for efficient computation and storage of data.

3) How do you find the remainder in modular arithmetic?

To find the remainder in modular arithmetic, you can use the modulus operator (%) in most programming languages, or use the formula: remainder = dividend - (divisor * quotient).

4) What is the significance of remainders in modular arithmetic?

Remainders in modular arithmetic can represent the cyclical nature of numbers and can help solve problems involving repeating patterns and sequences.

5) Can modular arithmetic be used for negative numbers?

Yes, modular arithmetic can be used for negative numbers by adding the modulus to the negative number until it becomes positive, and then performing the modular calculation as usual.