Modular arithmatic exponential

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary: But this can't be right because y should be an integer.In summary, 5 divides 100, so if two numbers are congruent mod 100, they are also congruent mod 5. By setting x = 0, we can see that it is a solution. We can also reduce the amount of values to check by showing that (5^x+4)-5 is divisible by 5, which leads to x ending in a 9. For the second question, we can use the fact that 7^2 must also divide (5^3)y and we need to find the smallest value for
trap101
determine if the following congruence has an integer solution: 5x + 4 congruent to 5 (mod 100)

The only way I could envision this working is by trying all of the remainder values of 100, but I don't think that is the way to go considering there is so many. I tried to figure out an equivalency for 5 [itex]\equiv[/itex] x (mod 100) but that got me nowhere as well.

What's the simple property I'm probably missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
5 divides 100. So if two numbers are congruent mod 100, they are also congruent mod 5.

trap101 said:
determine if the following congruence has an integer solution: 5x + 4 congruent to 5 (mod 100)

What's the simple property I'm probably missing here?

What happens if x = 0?

Dick said:
5 divides 100. So if two numbers are congruent mod 100, they are also congruent mod 5.

is that because we can consider the negative remainder as well? I ask because, I always ever looked at it as 100 had to divide 5, not the other way around.

pasmith said:
What happens if x = 0?

So I guess then it follows since 5 is congruent to 5 (mod 100) that's the same as 5-5 = 100q where q is any integer.

trap101 said:
So I guess then it follows since 5 is congruent to 5 (mod 100) that's the same as 5-5 = 100q where q is any integer.

You just mean 'q is some integer', not 'any'. But sure x=0 is a solution. Now you want to check if there are any more solutions. If (5^x+4)-5 is divisible by 100, then it's also divisible by 5. Can that happen if x>0?

Dick said:
You just mean 'q is some integer', not 'any'. But sure x=0 is a solution. Now you want to check if there are any more solutions. If (5^x+4)-5 is divisible by 100, then it's also divisible by 5. Can that happen if x>0?

I was about to throw my hands up and give up because I've been here plowing away at numerous other questions...but thinking about it for a second...since I just showed that (5^x+4)-5 is divisible by 5, I just reduced the amount of values I have to check and doing it mentally...all of my values will end up with a final digit as a 9...i.e the only value that works is 5.

Had another question:

find the smallest natural numbers x and y such that (7^2)x = (5^3)y

so this is in a chapter about the fundamental theorem of arithmetic...using that idea, I know I can write each of those powers out into a series of primes...but the primes don't divide each other in any way.

trap101 said:
I was about to throw my hands up and give up because I've been here plowing away at numerous other questions...but thinking about it for a second...since I just showed that (5^x+4)-5 is divisible by 5, I just reduced the amount of values I have to check and doing it mentally...all of my values will end up with a final digit as a 9...i.e the only value that works is 5.

Had another question:

find the smallest natural numbers x and y such that (7^2)x = (5^3)y

so this is in a chapter about the fundamental theorem of arithmetic...using that idea, I know I can write each of those powers out into a series of primes...but the primes don't divide each other in any way.

7^2 divides (7^2)x. So it must also divide (5^3)y. What does that tell you about y?

Dick said:
7^2 divides (7^2)x. So it must also divide (5^3)y. What does that tell you about y?

I don't think I follow. How does 7^2 also divide (5^3)y?...I see that 7^2 divides (7^2)x and same with the other, but how they divide each other isn't sinking in.

trap101 said:
I don't think I follow. How does 7^2 also divide (5^3)y?...I see that 7^2 divides (7^2)x and same with the other, but how they divide each other isn't sinking in.

(5^3)y and (7^2)x are equal. So, of course, if 7^2 divides one, it must divide the other.

trap101 said:
I don't think I follow. How does 7^2 also divide (5^3)y?
What's he's asking is what is the smallest value for y so that 7^2 also divides (5^3)y ?

rcgldr said:
What's he's asking is what is the smallest value for y so that 7^2 also divides (5^3)y ?

but isn't that what I'm trying to figure out initially?

I view it as this: (5^3)y/(7^2) = (7^2)q for some q...

==> y = (7^4)q/(5^3)...

1. What is modular arithmetic exponential?

Modular arithmetic exponential is a mathematical operation that involves raising a number to a power and then finding the remainder when that number is divided by another number, called the modulus. It is often used in cryptography and number theory.

2. How is modular arithmetic exponential calculated?

To calculate modular arithmetic exponential, you first raise the base number to the power, and then find the remainder when divided by the modulus. This can be done using a calculator or by hand using the rules of modular arithmetic.

3. What is the significance of modular arithmetic exponential?

Modular arithmetic exponential has many practical applications, such as in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages, in computer science for efficient data storage and manipulation, and in number theory for solving mathematical problems.

4. What are the properties of modular arithmetic exponential?

Modular arithmetic exponential has several important properties, including the fact that the result of the operation will always be between 0 and the modulus minus one, and that it follows certain rules of exponentiation, such as the power rule and the product rule.

5. How is modular arithmetic exponential used in cryptography?

In cryptography, modular arithmetic exponential is used to generate and verify digital signatures, to encrypt and decrypt messages, and to create secure communication channels. This is because the operation is reversible and difficult to reverse engineer, making it a useful tool for keeping information safe.