Simple calc limit problem help

• Thread starter Matus1976
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a limit and finding the correct approach to solve the problem. The person asks for guidance and someone suggests factoring to simplify the equation. The person is able to solve the problem with this approach and gets the correct answer. In the second part, the same method is used to solve a similar limit and the person is able to solve it with the help of factoring.
Matus1976
I'm in Calc I and have run into a probably simple problem I can use guidance on.

Evaluate the following Limit

lim x -> -1 [(2x-1)^2 - 9] / [x+1]

Its been a few years since pre-calc and I'm drawing a blank on how to proceed on this problem. Thanks for any help offered!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to factor (2x-1)^2-9 and see if x+1 is a factor. I think it is.

That's what it was, thanks!

How about this one?? The book has the answer as -1

lim x -> b [(x-b)^50 - x + b] / [x - b]

Matus1976 said:
That's what it was, thanks!

How about this one?? The book has the answer as -1

lim x -> b [(x-b)^50 - x + b] / [x - b]

Write the numerator as (x-b)^50-(x-b). It is divisible by (x-b), right?

Dick said:
Write the numerator as (x-b)^50-(x-b). It is divisible by (x-b), right?

Yeah that did it, thanks again! I didn't think to factor the -1 out.

Related to Simple calc limit problem help

What is a simple calc limit problem?

A simple calc limit problem is a mathematical question that involves finding the value of a function as the input approaches a specific value or infinity. It is usually solved using the concepts of limits and derivatives.

How do I solve a simple calc limit problem?

To solve a simple calc limit problem, you need to first understand the concept of limits and derivatives. Then, use algebraic manipulations and theorems such as L'Hopital's rule to simplify the expression and find the limit value.

Why are simple calc limit problems important?

Simple calc limit problems are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function and its graph near a particular input value. This is crucial in many real-world applications, such as economics, physics, and engineering.

What are some common techniques for solving simple calc limit problems?

Some common techniques for solving simple calc limit problems include factoring, rationalizing, using trigonometric identities, and applying L'Hopital's rule. It is also important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and calculus concepts.

Can I use a calculator to solve simple calc limit problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve simple calc limit problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in solving these problems by hand before relying on a calculator. Additionally, not all calculators have the capability to solve more complex limit problems, so it is important to check your calculator's capabilities.