Simple Circuit Question (KVL/KCL)

• Thread starter Novark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving KCL, KVL, and Ohm's Law. The branch with the 2 ohm resistor is key in solving the problem, as it leads to the realization that the equivalent resistance of the i/4 branch is 4 times that of the 2 ohm resistor. By redrawing the circuit with an 8 ohm resistor in place of the i/4 branch, the problem becomes easier to solve. The conversation also points out a mistake in the initial attempt at solving the problem, which is corrected with the help of another participant.
Novark
[Solved]

Homework Statement

4017773043_4297587691_o.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL, KVL, Ohms Law

The Attempt at a Solution

6 = i + (i/4) + (v/8)

I just can't get another equation that relates v & i.

Any suggestions? Am I going about this the right way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The branch with the 2 ohm resistor tells you that the voltage drop across it is given by i*(2 ohms), which, from the way the circuit is laid out, must also be equal to v.

we know that the equivalent resistance of the io/4 branch is 4 times that in the 2 ohm resistor, because 1/4 the current flows. So it's easy to redraw the circuit using an 8 ohm resistor in place of that branch, and that makes it all nice and easy.

cepheid said:
The branch with the 2 ohm resistor tells you that the voltage drop across it is given by i*(2 ohms), which, from the way the circuit is laid out, must also be equal to v.

If that's the case, then won't I get:

6 = i + (i/4) + (2i/8) = (5i/2)
Which would give: i = 12/5.

Am I missing something?

Bad arithmetic:

i = 4i/4

i/4 = i/4

2i/8 = i/4

so the sum is:

4i/4 + i/4 + i/4 = 6i/4 = 3i/2

if 3i/2 = 6, then 3i = 12, and i = 4.

cepheid said:
Bad arithmetic:

i = 4i/4

i/4 = i/4

2i/8 = i/4

so the sum is:

4i/4 + i/4 + i/4 = 6i/4 = 3i/2

if 3i/2 = 6, then 3i = 12, and i = 4.

Ah, that's right. Not sure how I made such a silly mistake.
Thank you.

1. What is KVL and KCL?

KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) and KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) are two fundamental laws in circuit analysis. KVL states that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. KCL states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit is also equal to zero.

2. How do I apply KVL and KCL to a simple circuit?

To apply KVL and KCL to a simple circuit, you first need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components. Then, choose a direction for the current flow and assign polarities to all the voltage sources. Next, write out KVL and KCL equations using the labeled polarities and solve them simultaneously to find the unknown voltages and currents in the circuit.

3. Can KVL and KCL be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, KVL and KCL can be applied to any type of circuit, including simple circuits and more complex circuits with multiple loops and nodes. These laws are applicable to both DC and AC circuits.

4. What are the practical applications of KVL and KCL?

KVL and KCL are used in various fields related to circuit analysis, such as electrical engineering, physics, and electronics. These laws are essential for designing and analyzing circuits in different electronic devices, such as computers, cell phones, and power systems. They also help in troubleshooting circuit problems and predicting the behavior of circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to KVL and KCL?

While KVL and KCL are powerful tools for circuit analysis, they do have some limitations. These laws assume ideal conditions, such as negligible resistance in wires and perfect voltage sources. In reality, these conditions are not always met, which can affect the accuracy of results obtained using KVL and KCL. Additionally, these laws may not be applicable to circuits with non-linear components, such as diodes and transistors.