Simple circular motion conceptual question

In summary, if you double the speed of a car on a turn, the radius has to quadruple and the time needed to make the turn doubles.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
If the speed was doubled, what would the radius and period be to keep the same acceleration?

Homework Equations

a = v^2/R
T = 2piR/t

The Attempt at a Solution

So with my understanding it is as follows:
(2v)^2/R
This makes it 4v^2/x = a
since a=v^2/R

Setting this into a proportion
we get
4v^2*R=v^2*x
so 4R=x

Radius must be 4 times larger to support a doubling in speed.

T = 8piR/t

Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it's correct to me.

Likes RJLiberator
Yahoooo! I did extremely well on this physics exam, many thanks to people like you on this forum.

Cheers.

RJLiberator said:
If the speed was doubled, what would the radius and period be to keep the same acceleration?
It depends what speed is referred to here. Is it the linear speed at the periphery or the angular speed? Maybe you could post the whole question, word for word.

Likes RJLiberator
Unfortunately, I don't have the question as it was an exam question.

However, the "car" was going at constant speed on the outside (atan=0?) and the speed was doubled according to arad from my memory.

You also have a T = 2piR/t
and you think it changes to T = 8piR/t

But forgot to mention what it T is or what t is. Dimensionally, this looks suspicious.

Likes RJLiberator
Hm.
T = period.
period = 2pir/time right?

When the r becomes 4R it becomes 8pi*R/t
the only part i am unsure about there is the denominator, t for time, if it is needed.

RJLiberator said:
Hm.
T = period.
period = 2pir/time right?

When the r becomes 4R it becomes 8pi*R/t
the only part i am unsure about there is the denominator, t for time, if it is needed.
The calculation of period will involve speed.

Yes, wouldn't the units be 2piR = meters and t = seconds
so m/s ?

Period is measured in seconds.

Ah... I see my error, I was under the impression that the definition of period was T = 2piR/t however, that is incorrect. The definition is actually
V = 2piR/T which becomes 2piR/V = T and in my case it would be 8piR/2v which simplifies to 4piR/v and the units becomes m/m/s which is just seconds.

Ah, that is unfortunate, I won't score 100% because i had the wrong definition in my head :p.

Thank you.

So if the acceleration stays the same, and the speed while making a turn doubles, the radius has to become four times as big. And the time needed to complete the turn doubles.

Likes RJLiberator
Indeed. Thank you for that understanding. :)

trying to help here but it seems most questions I know are quickly answered, from where I'm standing the only algebra was sqauring your two and moving your centripittal acceleration equation around, then you just plugged those values in for T, if you happen to confuse T equation and did everything else right I doubt your teacher will dock you too much

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks Jediknight. Yeah, I'm not too bothered, I'm very happy with how the exam went :D

What is simple circular motion?

Simple circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed.

What causes an object to undergo simple circular motion?

An object undergoing simple circular motion is constantly changing direction, which is caused by a force acting towards the center of the circular path. This force is called centripetal force.

How is simple circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed and with a constant direction. Simple circular motion also has a constant speed, but the direction of the object's motion is constantly changing.

What is the role of velocity and acceleration in simple circular motion?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion. In simple circular motion, the velocity of the object is constantly changing due to its changing direction. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of velocity. In simple circular motion, the object experiences acceleration towards the center of the circular path, which causes it to constantly change direction.

What are some real-life examples of simple circular motion?

Some examples of simple circular motion in everyday life include a car turning a corner, a rollercoaster going around a loop, and a planet orbiting the sun.