1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple conservation of energy problem

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    All I need to do is figure out at what height h above the ground does a projectile have .5v using only v and g in the answer.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of energy: KEi=GPEf
    .5mv2=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution
    so I went ahead and just plugged in .5v or v and solved for h so...
    .5(.5v)2=gh
    .5(.25v2)=gh
    .125v2=gh
    h=v2/8g

however, the correct answer is 3v2/8g

so I guess all I need to know is where the 3 came from. I don't see any algebraic errors and I frankly don't have any other ideas
    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi ehilge! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    .5(v)2=gh

Too clever by half!! :biggrin: :wink:

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You need to set up the conservation of energy equation properly. What's the total energy when the projectile just leaves the ground? What's the total energy when its speed = 0.5v and its height = h? Set those equal.

In general, this is not true. It's only true if all the KE is transformed into PE.

5. Sep 27, 2008 #4
    ok, so I got the correct answer when I set .5mv2=.5m(.5v)2+mgh. I think I actually just read my own question wrong. I thought I was trying to find the height if the initial velocity is .5v but it looks like I needed to find what the height is when the velocity is .5v but the intitial is still v. Oh well, I geuss I better pay more attention next time. Thanks for you help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?