Simple curve - not so simple function?

In summary: What's important is the trend and how well the data points fit the trend. In this case, it seems that a second order difference equation is a better fit than a polynomial.
Miffymycat
What is f(x) when eg

x = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc
y = 0, 8, 12, 14, 15, 15.5, 15.75 etc (the y value at x =1 is arbitrary)

ie each successive y value adds half the difference of the preceding 2 values.

(It is effectively the inverse of a first order exponential decay where the y value halves at constant x intervals).

But it doesn’t fit an exponential ...! Could it be a type of hyperbola? or polynomial? or both? or something else entirely?

I have no decent curve fitting software and struggling to find this.
Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try drawing it on a graph paper.

Thanks ... but how would that help, if I've already tried to fit it in Excel?

You can try finding the nth term of the sequence(That's what I do).

So you are saying that [itex]x_{n+2}= x_{n+1}+ (x_n+ x_{n+1})/2= (3/2)x_{n+1}+ (1/2)x_n[/itex]

That's a "second order difference equation" which has associated characteristic equation [itex]s^2= (3/2)s+ 1/2[/itex] or [itex]s^2- (3/2)s- 1/2= 0[/itex]. The solutions to that equation are [itex]s= \frac{3\pm \sqrt{17
}}{4}[/itex]. That means that the general solution to the difference equation is [itex]8^{n/4}(C2^{\sqrt{17}n/4}+ D2^{-\sqrt{17}n/4})[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
So you have a sequence defined by

[tex]x_0 = 0,~x_1 = 8,~x_{n+1} = x_n + \frac{1}{2}(x_n - x_{n-1}) = \frac{3}{2}x_n - \frac{1}{2}x_{n-1}[/tex]

Let's find a general term. We can express this sequence as follows:

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_{n+1}\\ x_n
\end{array}
\right)
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{3}{2} & -\frac{1}{2}\\ 1 & 0
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_{n}\\ x_{n-1}
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

So, we get

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_{n+1}\\ x_n
\end{array}
\right)
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{3}{2} & -\frac{1}{2}\\ 1 & 0
\end{array}
\right)^n
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_1\\ x_0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

By using the diagonalization theory of linear algebra, we can write this as

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_{n+1}\\ x_n
\end{array}
\right)
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{2} & 1\\ 1 & 1
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{2^n} & 0\\ 0 & 1
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
-2 & 2\\ 2 & -1
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_1\\ x_0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

and thus

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_{n+1}\\ x_n
\end{array}
\right)
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
2 - \frac{1}{2^n} & \frac{1}{2^n}- 1\\ 2 - \frac{1}{2^{n-1}} & \frac{1}{2^{n-1}}-1
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x_1\\ x_0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Thus we get

[tex]x_{n+1} = 2x_1 - \frac{x_1}{2^n} + \frac{x_0}{2^n} - x_0[/tex]

Since ##x_1 = 8## and ##x_0 = 0##, we get

[tex]x_{n+1} = 16 - \frac{8}{2^n}[/tex]

Thanks both! I'm not a mathematician ... just a chemist struggling to make sense of some data!

So Hallsofivy, is a "second order difference equation" the same thing as a second order polynomial? I tried to fit the data to a polynomial and it required 6th order before R2= 1 in Excel! (And not sure how you got from the series to the associated characteristic equation)

I see you guys have both written it as a series, but can it be expressed in terms of y=f(x)? And described as eg a power function or polynomial etc?

You can manipulate Micromass's approach to get, for example:

[tex]f(x) = 16 - 2^{4-x}[/tex]

And, if f(1) = a, then:

[tex]f(x) = a(2 - 2^{1-x}) = 2a(1 - \frac{1}{2^x})[/tex]

Last edited:
... building on micromass's reply ... something like y = 2a -(a/2^x)? where a is an arbitrary constant. Is it a hyperbolic function??! Or a hyperbolic polynomial! does that exist?

Thanks Perok ... I was sending mine while yours was arriving - I was close! So does the function fit one of those categories?

I would say it's just a variation of a power function (powers of 1/2).

OK - a bit weird though, that it fits precisely to polynomial order 6! Coincidence?

Miffymycat said:
OK - a bit weird though, that it fits precisely to polynomial order 6! Coincidence?

Any set of n values will fit a polynomial of order n-1.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a simple curve?

A simple curve is a type of mathematical function that represents a single, continuous line without any breaks or sharp turns. It is typically described by a single equation and has a smooth, regular shape.

2. How is a simple curve different from a complex curve?

A simple curve is different from a complex curve in that it is described by a single equation and has a smooth, regular shape, while a complex curve may require multiple equations and can have more irregular shapes.

3. What is the purpose of a simple curve in science?

A simple curve is often used in science to model and predict relationships between variables. It can also be used to represent real-world phenomena, such as the growth of a population or the decay of a radioactive substance.

4. Can a simple curve be used to model all types of data?

No, a simple curve may not always be the best fit for all types of data. It is most commonly used for continuous, quantitative data, but for discrete or categorical data, other types of curves or functions may be more appropriate.

5. How do you determine the equation of a simple curve?

The equation of a simple curve can be determined by analyzing the data and identifying any patterns or relationships. This can be done through graphical methods, such as plotting the data points and drawing a line of best fit, or through mathematical methods, such as regression analysis.