• I
  • Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
What are the key factors to consider when determining the directional fields for curves/straight lines?
I am looking at this now : My understanding is that in determining the directional fields for curves; establishing the turning points and/or inflection points if any is key...then one has to make use of limits and check behaviour of function as it approaches or moves away from these points thus giving us a family of curves. For the question posted here , ...we set ##\dfrac{dy}{dx}=0, c=y-x## and then proceed to get a family of curves (isoclines) then proceed to check the behaviour of other values in the neighbourhood of the parallel lines.

Pretty clear but i may have missed on something hence my post.

Attachments

• directional fields.png
    directional fields.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 36
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Appreciated...i just wanted to check that my reasoning is correct; then i should be able to determine stability/asymptotic stability or unstability of solutions related to these fields...refreshing on this. cheers man.

and i just clicked the linear differential equation on wolfram. How did they end up with the constant ##1## on ##y=c_1e^x+x+1## in my working i have

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}-y=-x##

using integration factor,

##e^{\int({-1})dx}= \dfrac{1}{e^x}##

I end up with,

##ye^{-x} = \int (-xe^{-x} )dx##

...and on integration by parts on rhs... i get,

##ye^{-x}=xe^{-x}+e^{-x} +c##

##y = x+1+ce^x## ahhhh ok boss i can see :cool: .

nice day.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
chwala said:
Appreciated...i just wanted to check that my reasoning is correct; then i should be able to determine stability/asymptotic stability or unstability of solutions related to these fields...refreshing on this. cheers man.
It is similar to what we call "curve discussion" here, and Wiki "curve sketching": differentiate the function three times, determine the zeros, plug in the zeros from one derivative into the other ones, and draw the curve with the information about zeros, local minima, local maxima, asymptotes, inflection points, convex, and concave areas, etc.

It is only a bit more complicated with differential equation systems, but yes, determine as much data as possible: repellers, attractors, possible flows, and so on.

Likes chwala
Are you trying to plot a Vector Field; specifically here, f(x,y)=y-x, and/or its Characteristic curves?

Last edited:
Likes chwala
WWGD said:
Are you trying to plot a Vector Field; specifically here, f(x,y)=y-x, and/or its Characteristic curves?
Not really,... Just looking at how to plot directional fields...

Likes WWGD

1. How do you determine the directional field for the differential equation ##\dfrac{dy}{dx}=y-x##?

To determine the directional field for the given differential equation, we first rewrite it in the form ##\dfrac{dy}{dx}=f(x,y)## where ##f(x,y)=y-x##. Then, we plot short line segments with slopes equal to ##f(x,y)## at various points in the xy-plane to visualize the direction of the solution curves.

2. What information does the directional field provide for the given differential equation?

The directional field provides information about the direction in which the solution curves of the given differential equation move at different points in the xy-plane. It helps us visualize how the solutions behave and how they approach equilibrium points or diverge away from them.

3. How can the directional field be used to analyze the behavior of solutions to the differential equation ##\dfrac{dy}{dx}=y-x##?

By examining the directional field, we can infer the qualitative behavior of the solution curves for the given differential equation. We can identify critical points, determine stability, and predict whether solutions will approach or diverge from these points based on the direction of the field at those locations.

4. What are some common methods to plot the directional field for a given differential equation?

Common methods to plot the directional field include using software tools like MATLAB or Mathematica to generate vector plots, or manually plotting line segments with appropriate slopes at grid points in the xy-plane. These methods help visualize the direction of the solution curves and analyze their behavior.

5. How does the directional field aid in understanding the geometric interpretation of the differential equation ##\dfrac{dy}{dx}=y-x##?

The directional field provides a geometric interpretation of the differential equation by illustrating the direction in which the solution curves move in the xy-plane. By analyzing the field, we can gain insights into the behavior of solutions, identify trends, and predict the long-term dynamics of the system described by the differential equation.