Simple Differential eq. question

In summary, you would use mathematica to graph f1, f2,h. Then, you would find the Laplace transforms F1, F1, H. Finally, you would inverse Laplace transforms g1, g2 of G1, G2.
itsjuly13
Hi. I need help getting started with the following problem. The second part I think would be easy but I'm a little confused on the first part.

Part 1.
Define f1(t):Low Frequency signal.
f2(t) High Frequency signal.
h(t) Filter transfer Function.

Part 2.
Then, I would use mathematica to graph f1, f2,h.
Find the Laplace Transforms F1, F1, H.
outputs: F1-F1*H, G1=F1*H.
Inverse Laplace Transforms g1, g2 of G1, G2.
Then Discuss the filter Effects.

My question is. How would I define a Low/High frequency signal? and the filter transfer function? Any help/Guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might help introduce you to writing functions in Mathematica

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/DefiningFunctions.html

This is a tiny example that might help you get started.

Code:
In[1]:= f1[t_] := Sin[2 Pi t];

In[2]:= Plot[f1[t], {t, -2, 2}]

Out[2]= ...PlotSnipped...

In[3]:= LaplaceTransform[f1[t], t, s]

Out[3]= (2 Pi)/(4 Pi^2 + s^2)

In[4]:= InverseLaplaceTransform[2 Pi/(4 Pi^2 + s^2), s, t]

Out[4]= Sin[2 Pi t]

Mathematica is FANATIC about correct capitalization and correct use of () versus [] versus {} and = versus := versus == and there is even an === and they are all completely different. Make any tiny mistake with anyone of those and you will get error messages you don't know what to do with or incorrect results or even nothing at all.

Bill Simpson said:
This might help introduce you to writing functions in Mathematica

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/DefiningFunctions.html

This is a tiny example that might help you get started.

Code:
In[1]:= f1[t_] := Sin[2 Pi t];

In[2]:= Plot[f1[t], {t, -2, 2}]

Out[2]= ...PlotSnipped...

In[3]:= LaplaceTransform[f1[t], t, s]

Out[3]= (2 Pi)/(4 Pi^2 + s^2)

In[4]:= InverseLaplaceTransform[2 Pi/(4 Pi^2 + s^2), s, t]

Out[4]= Sin[2 Pi t]

Mathematica is FANATIC about correct capitalization and correct use of () versus [] versus {} and = versus := versus == and there is even an === and they are all completely different. Make any tiny mistake with anyone of those and you will get error messages you don't know what to do with or incorrect results or even nothing at all.

Thank you Bill.

How would I go about defining a transfer function?

1. How do I solve a simple differential equation?

There are various methods to solve a simple differential equation, depending on its form. One common method is to separate the variables and integrate both sides. Another method is to use the method of undetermined coefficients, which involves guessing a solution and solving for the unknown coefficients.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation helps us find the relationship between a function and its rate of change. This is useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the behavior of a system can be described by a differential equation.

3. What are initial conditions in a differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain of the function. These conditions are necessary to find the particular solution of a differential equation, as they provide a starting point for the solution.

4. Can a differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because a differential equation is a mathematical statement that represents a relationship between a function and its derivatives. Just like how a function can have multiple outputs for a given input, a differential equation can have multiple solutions for a given set of initial conditions.

5. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to describe systems that change over a single variable, such as time, while PDEs are used to describe systems that change over multiple variables, such as space and time.