Simple Differential equation with reduction of order

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
use method of reduction of order to find second solution:

t2y''-4ty+6y = 0 , y1(t)= t2

Attempt:

So I've done all the steps, up to the substitution, but I'm having problems with what appears to be a simple linear equation but I can't solve it: Any ways, with w = v' I arrive at:

w't4 = 0

Everything else canceled out. But trying to get an integrating factor with this would lead me to 0.

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
use method of reduction of order to find second solution:

t2y''-4ty+6y = 0 , y1(t)= t2

Attempt:

So I've done all the steps, up to the substitution, but I'm having problems with what appears to be a simple linear equation but I can't solve it: Any ways, with w = v' I arrive at:

w't4 = 0

Everything else canceled out. But trying to get an integrating factor with this would lead me to 0.

Actually, you are OK so far. Divide out the ##t^4## and you have ##w'=0## or ##v''=0##. Integrate it twice and remember when you are done that ##y=t^2v##. You will see what a second independent solution is.

Last edited:
Actually, you are OK so far. Divide out the ##t^4## and you have ##w'=0## or ##v''=0##. Integrate it twice and remember when you are done that ##y=t^2v##. You will see what a second independent solution is.

Your right. This working with zero in this scenario is so weird....

I had another quick question with regards to undetermined coefficients:

y''+2y' = 3 + 4sin(2t)

So working out everything I get everything correct, but I'm missing a term in the particular solution. my solution is:

Yp(t) = -1/2cos(2t) - 1/2sin(2t)

I guess the issue is when I'm setting up my guess and setting the expressions equal. so my initial "guess" is:

Yp(t) = A + B cos(2t) + C sin(2t)

obviously after diffeentiating this twice the constant A term disappeared and as well there is no "y" in the differential equation. yet in the solution they got:

3/2 -1/2cos(2t) - 1/2sin(2t) plus the complimentary equation. How do I get the 3/2?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your right. This working with zero in this scenario is so weird....

I had another quick question with regards to undetermined coefficients:

y''+2y' = 3 + 4sin(2t)

So working out everything I get everything correct, but I'm missing a term in the particular solution. my solution is:

Yp(t) = -1/2cos(2t) - 1/2sin(2t)

I guess the issue is when I'm setting up my guess and setting the expressions equal. so my initial "guess" is:

Yp(t) = A + B cos(2t) + C sin(2t)

obviously after diffeentiating this twice the constant A term disappeared and as well there is no "y" in the differential equation. yet in the solution they got:

3/2 -1/2cos(2t) - 1/2sin(2t) plus the complimentary equation. How do I get the 3/2?

You didn't show your ##y_c## complementary solution. But ##y=A## obviously is a solution of the homogeneous equation, so it can't work for ##y_p##. Try ##y_p=At## plus the sine an cosine terms.

You didn't show your ##y_c## complementary solution. But ##y=A## obviously is a solution of the homogeneous equation, so it can't work for ##y_p##. Try ##y_p=At## plus the sine an cosine terms.

Sorry for the delayed response. had class. my complementary solution was:

yc(t) = c1e0t + c2e-2t

So where does the A term appear in the complemetary solution? is it because c1 is only the constant without e0t in it?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sorry for the delayed response. had class. my complementary solution was:

yc(t) = c1e0t + c2e-2t

So where does the A term appear in the complemetary solution? is it because c1 is only the constant without e0t in it?

If you simplify ##c_1e^{0t}## what do you get?

If you simplify ##c_1e^{0t}## what do you get?

Yes. I get the constant alone. Is it because it's the constant or should I look at it as it's because they are the same degree polynomial?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes. I get the constant alone. Is it because it's the constant or should I look at it as it's because they are the same degree polynomial?

Too many pronoun "its" in that question. I have no idea what you are asking me.

Too many pronoun "its" in that question. I have no idea what you are asking me.

Sorry. What I was asking is that since in the complementary solution I have y(t) = c1 + c2e-2 does the constant c1 match with the "A" that I have as my "guess" for the polynomial portion of the particular solution? and if so, then that's my I add a "t" to it? i.e: At + (the rest)?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sorry. What I was asking is that since in the complementary solution I have y(t) = c1 + c2e-2 does the constant c1 match with the "A" that I have as my "guess" for the polynomial portion of the particular solution? and if so, then that's my I add a "t" to it? i.e: At + (the rest)?

Yes. The fact that a constant ##c_1## is a solution of the homogeneous equation means that a constant, no matter whether you call it ##A## or something else can't be a solution of the NH equation. So no point in trying ##y_p = A##.