1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Dynamics Problem Requiring Explanation

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Boxes are placed on a slope at uniform intervals of time trelease and slide down the slope with uniform acceleration. Knowing that as a box B is released, the preceding box A has slid 6 meters down the slope and that 1 second later they are 10 meters apart, determine the following:

(a) The value of trelease

(b) The acceleration of the boxes.

2. Relevant equations
    ΔV = a⋅Δt
    Δx=Vi⋅t+½⋅a⋅t2
    2⋅a⋅Δx=Vf2-Vi2

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem isn't actually homework, I'm just studying. I'm posting the solution to the problem because I simply don't understand how exactly they arrive at the equations that they do. Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/oSyIFsm.png

For example, equation (2) doesn't make sense to me as t = tr + 1, yet in the problem t = 1. Also, how come in eqn. (3) they don't employ the 10 m @ t=tr+1? Why is Δx simply xA@tr+1?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2
    When using the equations of motion listed you need to put the time interval that the particle has been under that constant acceleration.
    When Box B is released: Box A has already been travelling for "tr" time. Box B has travelled for "Zero" time.
    After 1 second of releasing Box B: Box A has travelled for "tr time PLUS One extra second". Box B has only travelled for "1 second".

Coming to Eq. 3:
    Notice that the diagram isn't drawn properly. After 1 second both the boxes would have travelled a certain distance from their initial position. The distance between them is given to be 10m. So you need to use (xb - xa) = 10 @t=tr+1.

4. Feb 28, 2016 #3
    That really clears it up. Thank you, I appreciate that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted