Simple factoring that i can't do

• Thread starter gillyr2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a tension problem with a chandelier using equations. They have found an answer but the computer says it is wrong. They ask for help and someone else provides the correct solution, explaining their steps to solve it.
gillyr2
I need to solve for T1. the problem is a tension problem with a chandelier, but i have found all the equations to solve for the T1. I solve for T1 but the computer says its wrong. here are the equations and my answer. please help

(T1*cos(x1))/cos(x2) = (mg - T1*sin(x1))/sin(x2)

i keep getting

(cos(x2)mg)/2(sin(x2)cos(x1)+cos(x2)sin(x1)) = T1

x's are angles. someone pleas ehelp

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well i got (0.5*mg*sin(x2))/cos(x1))=T1.

can anyone verify this because i only get one shot left

hmmm, I am sorry bout that, do you know what they mean by multiplicative factor?

i don't know but i haven't entered in your answer yet. i just want to make sure because i only have one chance left

Last edited:
someone please help me

i get:
T1 = mg / (cos(x1)*tan(x2)+sin(x1))

let me know if its correct.

AFG34, you got it right. thanks

cna i ask how you did that?

first you multiply both sides by sin(x2); this gets rid of the fraction in the right side, and the left side reduces to T1*cos(x1)*tan(x2). Then you just bring the Tensions to one side and factor them out.

What is simple factoring?

Simple factoring is the process of finding the factors of a given number or expression. Factors are numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original number or expression.

Why is simple factoring important?

Simple factoring is important because it is a basic mathematical skill that is used in many other mathematical concepts, such as solving equations, simplifying fractions, and finding the roots of polynomials. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between numbers and expressions.

What are the steps involved in simple factoring?

The steps involved in simple factoring are as follows:
1. Identify the numerical or variable factors of the given number or expression.
2. Write the factors in pairs, with each pair multiplied together.
3. Check if any of the pairs can be combined or simplified further.
4. Write the final factored form of the number or expression.

What are the common mistakes made in simple factoring?

Common mistakes made in simple factoring include forgetting to consider negative factors, not checking if the factored form is correct by multiplying it back, and not simplifying the final factored form if possible. It is important to be careful with the signs of the factors and to double-check the factored form to avoid any errors.

How can I improve my simple factoring skills?

Practice is the best way to improve your simple factoring skills. Start with simpler numbers and expressions and gradually move on to more complex ones. Also, make sure to review the basic rules and techniques of factoring and try to identify patterns and common factors in different numbers and expressions. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in improving your skills.