Simple faraday's law problem (phi = what?)

In summary, we are given a toroid with N windings and radius R, and a circular loop of wire with a radius three times that of the toroid. The toroid has a cross-sectional radius x, and a current running through its wires given by ##I = I_0\sin (\omega t)##. The magnetic field in the center of the toroid is given by ##B = \dfrac{\mu_0 N (I_0\sin\omega t)}{2\pi R}##. To find the induced emf in the circular loop of wire, we use the equation ##\mathcal{E} = \dfrac{-d\phi}{dt} = - \dfrac
darksyesider

Homework Statement

A toroid with N windings and radius R has cross sectional radius x (x<<R).
The current running through the wires is given by ##I = I_0\sin (\omega t)##.
There is a magnetic field in the center of the toroid.

A loop of wire of radius three times that of the toroid is placed around the cross section of the toroid
(like http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/9fa3691b-46c6-4de7-b608-82705d9efa60.gif, but it's circular, not a rectangle).

Find the induced emf in the circular loop of wire.

Homework Equations

E = -dphi/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

##\int B\cdot ds = \mu_0 I\implies B(2\pi R) = N\mu_0 I \implies B = \dfrac{\mu_0 N (I_0\sin\omega t)}{2\pi R}## (*)

then ##\mathcal{E} = \dfrac{- d\phi}{dt} = - \dfrac{d(BA)}{dt} = -\pi x^2 \dfrac{dB}{dt}##, where dB/dt is just the derivative of (*).

My question is, that should it be ##-\pi x^2## (the cross section of the toroid) or should it be the area of the loop ( pi*(3x)^2) ?
My reasoning for pi*x^2 is that since there is no flux at parts of the circular loop, it's just the area of the cross section (no flux since no magnetic field!).

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to integrate B across the toroid's cross-section to the the total flux. B is a function of the radial distance from the toroid's center (not the cross-section center; I mean the center of the hole). You have oversimplified the problem by using the value of B at the outermost radial distance R.

EDIT: I don't see why that is true, isn't R fixed?

Last edited:
darksyesider said:
EDIT: I don't see why that is true, isn't R fixed?

Sure is, but the B field isn't confined to r = R.

can you specify where it is incorrect? I still don't see what you are referring to.

darksyesider said:
can you specify where it is incorrect? I still don't see what you are referring to.

As I said, you have determined the B field for r=R but have done nothing to determine what it is for r<R. R is the OUTER radius of the toroid. Ir also has an inner radius, which is R-2x. So we have R-2x < r < R.

B is a function of the radius r: B = B(r). You have computed B(R) only. Figure out why B(r) > B(R), r < R, just the way you found B(R).

Is there an elementary way to solve this then? (AP Physics C level)?

If the cross section was a square, it would be easy, but here it's harder.

darksyesider said:
Is there an elementary way to solve this then? (AP Physics C level)?

If the cross section was a square, it would be easy, but here it's harder.

In either case it requires integrating strips of the cross-section, from r = R-2x to r=R, to get the total flux which is what you need.
EDIT: ON SECOND THOUGHTS, since you were given x << R your original post solution is close to correct and probably what was intended.

I don't understand how you came up with your alternative area pi(3x)^2. What has a radius 3x?

Last edited:
The larger loop of wire.

darksyesider said:
The larger loop of wire.

Oh, right. But the area you want is, as you said, where the flux is, which is in the toroid cross-section only. Good work and sorry if I sidetracked you. If R >> x had not been given you would have had to integrate.

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field.

What is a Simple Faraday's Law Problem?

A Simple Faraday's Law Problem is a basic physics exercise that involves applying Faraday's Law to calculate the induced electric field or magnetic field in a given situation.

What is the Symbol "Phi" in Faraday's Law?

The symbol "Phi" in Faraday's Law represents the magnetic flux, which is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area.

How is "Phi" Calculated in a Simple Faraday's Law Problem?

In a Simple Faraday's Law Problem, "Phi" is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area of the loop or surface through which the magnetic field is passing.

What Does "Phi = What?" Mean in a Simple Faraday's Law Problem?

In a Simple Faraday's Law Problem, "Phi = What?" is a prompt to solve for the value of "Phi" using the given information and the equations of Faraday's Law.