1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Force and Motion Problem - Explain the explanation please.

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Half-Passage: In the packing industry, processing packages via conveyor belts is immensely practical and vital for operations. Maintaining packages in a neat and file line is no easy task, considering that many conveyor belts are non-linear and require the traversal of hills and valleys. As a general rule of thumb, boxes are kept no less than 5m apart so that collisions do not occur and skew the entire process. In the following diagram, box A is at the very top of the conveyor belt and box B is at the very bottom. The height of the conveyor belt system is h and the slops of the hill is r.

http://www.mcatquestionaday.com/pictures/080925.gif

Question 2: Assume that the conveyor belt of the incline is distinct and moves separately from the conveyor belt on which B rests. If the conveyor belt underneath A breaks, how long will it take for box A to hit box B assuming that box B remains stationary and the coefficient of kinetic friction of the conveyor belt is 0.4? Also assume that the mass of box A is m. For simplicity, assume that the distance down the ramp is d.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

answer: {2d/[gsin(r) - 0.4gcos(r)]}1/2

Okay... I understand how to solve this equation, but I don't understand why it's '2d' instead of 'd'. A little help please : )

To find time...
    a = v/t and v= d/t, so a = (d/t)/t
    F = ma --> a = F/m
    Ffr = µk*Fnorm

So for force --> (mgsinθ - mgcosθ)/m, then cancel the m --> a = (gsinθ - gcosθ)

(d/t)/t = (gsinθ - gcosθ) --> (d/t) = t(gsinθ - gcosθ) --> d = t*t(gsinθ - gcosθ --> d/(gsinθ - gcosθ) = t2 --> [d/(gsinθ - gcosθ)]1/2 = t

Where do they get 2d from?!?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2
    Try setting a = 1/2 t^2, taken from x(t) = 1/2t^2 + vt + t_0

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    Ahhh, I see - yes that works. Thank you!

When should I use x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2 versus a = (d/t)/t?

5. Jun 29, 2011 #4
    x(t) is a position function. It implies constant acceleration and one can use it to determine the time it takes to get from A to B .

I would only use a = d/t^2 when you know the distance interval and time interval. It is really a = (d_2-d_1)/(t_2 - t_1)^2, which gives you an average acceleration.

Someone else might be able to answer that question a little better, I am not 100% on when to use it.

6. Jun 29, 2011 #5
    Actually the problem is wrong. If A is moving, the conveyor has a velocity v, and when it stops, it makes a get an disacelleration or an acelleration (only if static friction coefficient makes A don't slide in the conveyor, but kinetic does). This way A has a initial velocity v that increases or decreases by time, so the initial velocity is needed. But as the answer says, there is no v, so, assuming that v is TOO short and can be forgotten, we have:

We know the position/time function in the MUV:

[itex]\Delta S = Vot - (1/2)at²[/itex]
    [itex]Vo=null [/itex]
    [itex]\Delta S = (1/2)at²[/itex]
    [itex]t=\sqrt{2 \Delta S/a}[/itex]

But a is the acceleration of gravity in the axe of the conveyor minus the disacxceleration of friction

[itex]A = g.sin\alpha - A_{friction} [/itex]

[itex]Fa = N.u = m.g.cos\alpha.u -> Fa = 0.4mgcos\alpha -> A_{ friction} = 0.4gcos\alpha [/itex]
    [itex]A = g.sin\alpha - 0.4gcos\alpha[/itex]
    [itex]t = \sqrt{ 2\Delta S/g.sin\alpha - 0.4gcos\alpha}[/itex]

Replace to get answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook