Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple fundamental subspaces problem stumping me

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    So the matrix is just a row vector

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 4 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

My problem, is that I get the nullspace as having to 2 dimensions, and the row space as having 2 dimenions, but that adds up to 4 dimensions, when it should add up to three. What simple thing am I missing?

Null space base vectors

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-4\\3\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Row space base vectors

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Taking the matrix to be the single row [itex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 4 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex] then the null space is all [itex]\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/itex] such that [itex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 4 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}= 3x+ 4y= 0[/itex]. Yes, that is of dimension 2 having [itex]\{\begin{bmatrix}-4 \\ 3 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}\}[/itex] as basis. However, the row space is one dimensional, having the vector [itex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 4 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex], the single row making up the matrix, as basis.

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those two last vectors cannot be in the row space, because a linear combination of them will give the first null space vector, ## [-4 \ 3 \ 0]^T##. In fact, the row space is the space spanned by the rows of the matrix, considered as vectors. So the row space consists of all multiples of ## [3 \ 4 \ 0]^T ##.

EDIT: oops, HallsofIvy beat me to it :-)

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4
    I realize what I was missing now.

I kept thinking of the row space as all those vector that can be operated on by the matrix without giving a zero vector result. Except that's not what the rowsapce is! It's the vector/s that characterize/s the rows of the matrix. Thanks @HallsofIvy and @Geofleur!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook