Simple Harmonic Motion - Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of frequency and maximum acceleration for a hydrogen atom in simple harmonic motion. The expression for frequency is given by f = 1 / 2π * √(k/m), where k is the force per unit displacement and m is the mass of a proton. The value of k is estimated to be approximately 560 N/m. The second part of the question asks for the maximum acceleration, which can be calculated using either F = ma or a = -ω2x. Both methods give equivalent results.
Peter G.
Hi, :smile:

Assuming that the motion of the hydrogen atom is simple harmonic, its frequency of oscillation, f, is given by the expression:

f = 1 / 2π * √(k/m)​

where k is the force per unit displacement between a hydrogen atom and the carbon atom and the m is the mass of a proton.

(i) Show that the value of k is approximately 560 N/m
(From previous parts of this question I knew: f = 9.1 x 1013 Hz and the mass was 1.7 x 10-27

I managed to do this question by rearranging and plugging the numbers in the formula

However, I am having problems with part (ii)

(ii) Estimate, using your answers to (c)(i), the maximum acceleration of the hydrogen atom.

I am thinking either F = ma, where F = kx. In this case, the k I got from the previous question would be the constant k, or the F itself?

Or use a = -ω2x, using the maximum displacement (I have it from previous part of the question)

How should I approach the second part with the F = ma format? Is it possible to tackle the problem in those two ways?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
I am thinking either F = ma, where F = kx. In this case, the k I got from the previous question would be the constant k, or the F itself?
That method would work, but I don't understand the question. (Of course the k will be the constant k.)

Or use a = -ω2x, using the maximum displacement (I have it from previous part of the question)
That works.

How should I approach the second part with the F = ma format? Is it possible to tackle the problem in those two ways?
What's the maximum force?

The maximum force would be the constant multiplied by the maximum displacement?

Peter G. said:
The maximum force would be the constant multiplied by the maximum displacement?
Exactly. Now you can use Newton's 2nd law to calculate the maximum acceleration.

(Be sure to solve it both ways--convince yourself that the methods are equivalent.)

Ok, will do!

Thanks!

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and period. It is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How is acceleration related to Simple Harmonic Motion?

In Simple Harmonic Motion, the acceleration of the object is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point and is always directed towards the equilibrium point. As the object moves away from the equilibrium point, the acceleration decreases, and as it approaches the equilibrium point, the acceleration increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion is a = -ω^2x, where a is the acceleration, ω is the angular frequency, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium point. This formula shows that the acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement and is always directed towards the equilibrium point.

4. Can the acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion be negative?

Yes, the acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion can be negative. Since the acceleration is directed towards the equilibrium point, it can be negative when the object is moving away from the equilibrium point. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The mass of an object does not affect the acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion. The acceleration depends only on the angular frequency and the displacement from the equilibrium point. This means that objects with different masses will have the same acceleration as long as they have the same angular frequency and displacement.