1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion acceleration

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    10630a3ad979be4a0d95323fe944ac7c.png

2. Relevant equations
    acceleration = -(2*pi*f)^2 * x, where f is the frequency and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought the acceleration would be greatest when the displacement from equilibrium is greatest, so at point P, but the answer is at point R and I'm not sure why.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re relevant equation: since there is damping, the expression for the acceleration is a little different: generally the damping force is taken to be proportional to the speed, so there is a term in the force ##-\beta v## and we write $$ m a + \beta v + k x = 0 $$ so that $$a = -{\beta \over m} v - {k\over m} x$$

Re where magnitude of a is maximum: I agree with you. Both at P and R |v| = 0 and |x| is bigger at P.

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3
    I'm fairly sure the answers I have been given for this question are wrong then, as I'm also getting weird results for later parts, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted