1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion amplitude

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object in SHM oscillates with a period of 4.0 s and an amplitude of 10 cm. How long does the object take to move from x = 0.0 cm to x = 6.0 cm?

2. Relevant equations

T = 2*pi/w

x(t) = Acos(wt) or x(t) = Asin(wt)

3. The attempt at a solution

T = 4.0 s
    A = 0.10 m

w = 2*pi/T
    w = 2*pi/(4.0)
    w = pi/2

What happens now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Good start!
    Ask yourself at what time is it at x=0? What time at x = 6 cm?
    The difference between the two times is your final answer.

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3
    I keep running into the issue of how to visualize the relative positions of these functions at different values. If I plug in 0.0 cm (or 0.0 m rather) into x(t) = Acos(wt), how do I know whether the function is moving positively ("up" a cosine crest) or negatively ("down" a cosine trough)? If it's positive, then the position difference will be the desired 6 cm. If it's negative, then the difference will be 10 + 10 + 6 = 26cm. How do I set this up appropriately in light of this?

5. Jan 8, 2012 #4
    I think what you're getting at is isolating t in each of x(t) = 0.00m and x(t) = 0.06m and finding the difference. However, this warrants a number (~23 seconds) that just doesn't make any sense given the period of 4 seconds.

6. Jan 8, 2012 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I would use the x = 0.1*sin(πt/2).
    Then at t = 0, x = 0.
    At t = 1, x = 0.1 m or 10 cm.
    So it will be at x = 6 cm sometime between 0 and 1 second. The motion is all in the same direction during this quarter of a period, so no up and down to worry about.

You could keep trying different times in that range until you get x = 0.06 or you could solve the equation for t and plug in x = .06.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #6
    x = 0.1*sin(πt/2)
    t = 2*asin(x/0.1)/π
    t = 2*asin(0.06/0.1)/π
    t = way too high.

Am I misinterpreting how to use this equation?

8. Jan 8, 2012 #7

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Ah, I see the problem. You were deceived by a little matter of units!
    asin(x/0.1) = 36.9 degrees, which is 0.643 radians. t works out to about 0.4 seconds.
    If you want to use degrees, then you must replace the π with 180 degrees in the formula.

9. Jan 8, 2012 #8
    UGH. Thank you. I'll try again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook