Simple Harmonic Motion and vibration

In summary: The total energy of the system is conserved, so the potential energy of the spring when the mass is displaced from equilibrium equals the kinetic energy of the mass when it passes through equilibrium. Set those two equal and solve for velocity.
rikiki

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.3kg is suspended from a spring of stiffness 200Nm-1. If the mass is displaced by 10mm from its equilibrium position and released, for resulting vibration, calculate:
a) the maximum velocity of the mass during the vibration

Homework Equations

Angular frequency= √((Spring constant)/mass)
Frequency= (Angular frequency)/(2 × π)
Velocity: v(t) = -ωA sin(ωt + φ)
Acceleration: a(t) = -ω 2 A cos(ωt + φ)
Displacement = amplitude x sin(angular frequency x time)
T=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

v(t)= -ωA sin⁡(ωt+φ)
angular frequency=25.8199
amplitude=0.01m
time= 1/f=0.2433
phase constant= 0
v(t)= -25.8199 ×0.01 sin⁡(25.8199 × 0.2433+0)
v(t)= -0.258199 sin⁡(6.2817627+0)
v(t)= -0.02825ms^(-1)

Now i seem to have confused myself and could really do with some help to point me in the right direction.

I need to calculate what the maximum velocity would be. I've read that Maximum and minimum values of any sine and cosine function are +1 and -1. So, would the correct equation be v(t)= -0.258199 x 0.01 sin⁡(1)? Furthermore I've read velocity is at a maximum when displacement is zero. By my understanding this would be when the amplitude is at 0.00. In which case should the equation be v(t)= -25.8199 ×0.00 sin⁡(25.8199 × 0.2433+0).
Both ways seem to give a velocity of 0.00ms?
And is there any other factors that then need adjusting if amplitude is changed? doesn't seem to be, but thought i'd check.

If anybody is able to offer their help that would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rikiki said:
I need to calculate what the maximum velocity would be. I've read that Maximum and minimum values of any sine and cosine function are +1 and -1. So, would the correct equation be v(t)= -0.258199 x 0.01 sin⁡(1)?
Not exactly. Since v = -Aω sin(ωt + φ), the maximum speed will be when sin(ωt + φ) = ± 1. Thus the maximum speed is given by Aω.
Furthermore I've read velocity is at a maximum when displacement is zero.
Right.
By my understanding this would be when the amplitude is at 0.00.
No. The amplitude is a constant of the motion--it doesn't change. The displacement, not the amplitude, is 0.

In which case should the equation be v(t)= -25.8199 ×0.00 sin⁡(25.8199 × 0.2433+0).
Both ways seem to give a velocity of 0.00ms?
No. When the displacement is zero, that means cos(ωt + φ) = 0. But velocity, which depends on sin(ωt + φ), is a maximum.

Since velocity is given by
[tex]
v = -\omega A\sin(\omega t + \varphi )
[/tex]
And we know that the maximum value of the sin function is 1 the highest value of v must be when [itex] \sin(\omega t + \varphi ) = 1 [/itex] so what does that make the maximum of v? :)

EDIT: Beaten to the punch

Another nice approach: You know the spring stiffness and the extension therefore you can calculate the FORCE in the stretched spring.
The ELASTIC POTENTIAL ENERGY stored is 0.5 x F x extension
This will be converted to KE of the mass... use 0.5mv^2 to get maximum v (gives 0.26m/s)

That's brilliant, thanks very much for all your help. so I get:

v_max= Amplitude ×angular frequency
v_max = A × ω
v_max=0.01 ×25.8199
v_max=0.258199
v_max=0.258 ms^(-1)

Thanks!

I like technician's approach

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium position, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It is also known as harmonic oscillation.

2. What causes simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This restoring force can come from various sources such as gravity, tension, or a spring.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can be used to describe the position of the object at any given time.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and vibration?

Vibration is a type of simple harmonic motion in which the object oscillates with a varying amplitude and frequency. Simple harmonic motion can be seen as a special case of vibration where the amplitude and frequency are constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion and vibration?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion and vibration include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, a guitar string, and a tuning fork. These motions can also be observed in everyday objects such as car suspensions, bridges during earthquakes, and even in our own vocal cords when we speak or sing.