1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion: Displacement after s seconds

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    The question is:

A 56.0 kg bungy-jumper hangs suspended from her bungy-cord, at rest. She is displaced from this position by 15.0 m downward, and then released. She bounces up and down, with a period of 5.800 s. Assume the woman undergoes simple harmonic motion, described by
    y(t) = X cos(2 π t / T + φ)

Where is the woman after 43.20 s of bouncing? (enter a negative value if she is below her rest position).

The answer is 14.2m.

I've been using x=Xcos(2*pi*t/T) --> 15cos(2pi43.2/5.8) = 10.27m. This equation was in my book. What did I do wrong? Am I supposed to use y(t) = X cos(2 π t / T + φ? In that case, I don't know what φ is...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Are you using your calculator properly? (Radians, not degrees.)

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3
    Oooh, thanks. I did not know you had to use radians. So do you have to always have to use radians when dealing with simple harmonic motion?

5. Aug 12, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Generally, yes. But you can always convert from one to the other.

Note what's going on in the equation y(t) = X cos(2 π t / T). That ratio t/T tells you what fraction of a period you are dealing with. The 2π tells you that you are dealing with radians, since one complete period is 2π radians.

6. Aug 12, 2012 #5
    Oh, that make sense. Thanks, that was really helpful. =)

7. Jun 5, 2013 #6
    how do you know if the woman is above or below her rest position?

8. Jun 5, 2013 #7

Doc Al

Set up properly, the equation will tell you.

Or you can just see what fraction of a full period she ends up at.

9. Jun 5, 2013 #8
    Do you mean by using this equation ?y(t) = X cos(2 π t / T + φ)
    btw what isφ

10. Jun 5, 2013 #9

Doc Al

Yes.

φ is a phase factor. But since the motion starts at maximum displacement below the rest position, you may not need it.

What final equation would you use to describe the position as a function of time?

11. Jun 5, 2013 #10
    simply using y(t) = X cos(2 π t / T) ?
    is that right

12. Jun 6, 2013 #11

Doc Al

Since she starts out below the rest position, I'd put a minus sign in front of that. Then you'd be fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted