1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion solved for time

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass 0.50 kg performs simple harmonic motion along the x axis with amplitude 0.55m and period 4.3 seconds. The initial displacement of the particle is -0.30 m and it is travelling in the positive x-direction. The phase constant of the motion (Φ) = -2.15 rad. Find the time at which the particle first reaches x = +0.3m.
    Relevant equations:

2. Relevant equations

x(t) = Acos(ωt + Φ)
    f = 1/T = 0.2326 Hz
    ω = 2πf = 1.4612 rad/s

3. The attempt at a solution

Rearrange for t:
    t = [arccos(x/A) - Φ]/ω
    t = [arccos(0.6/0.55) + 2.15]/1.4612
    This is giving me a maths error because arccos(x > 1) does't exist, but 0.6m is the total displacement.
    Even when I use 0.3 as my measurement for x I get a ridiculous value for t:

t = [arccos(0.3/0.55) + 2.15]/1.4612
    t = 40.4423 s

Not sure where I'm going wrong. Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did the 0.6 for the displacement come from? The initial displacement was given as -0.3 m.

4. May 17, 2016 #3
    If the initial displacement is -0.3m and I am measuring the time to get to 0.3m, should x not be 0.6m?

5. May 17, 2016 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A) You *have* to use x=0.3 meter. This equation gives the position as a function of time, it does not give a displacement as function of time.

B) Your calculator must be un radians to get the correct inverse cos.

6. May 17, 2016 #5
    Many thanks, turns out I'm just an idiot who doesn't know how to work a calculator.

7. May 17, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. x is displacement with respect to the origin. Better to refer it as 'position'. You know that x=Acos(wt+Φ)=0.3. w, A, and Φ are given, you can find t, but yes, set the calculator to RAD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted